Hob Filter Biomedia

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nauthes, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Nauthes

Nauthes Valued Member Member

My Girlfriend is starting a small 10g Fancy Guppy Tank.

We have a Marineland Penguin Power Filter 100.
    capable of 100g/hr so able to turn the tank 10x an hour. Good there.

Now i keep my 50gallon tropical community with a canister filter.
    So i have plenty of bio-media in my trays. More than enough for 300 gallons of water.

I hate these removable cartridges in the power filters as you'll just be throwing away your BB when you replace it. So I've opted to try this model with a bio wheel, but I'm skeptical it will do much for biological filtration.

What i really need is some help with how to get some space for BB in a small power filter like this that wont get thrown away
    Any tips on what to do?

2. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

I have a Penguin Biowheel 75 for my qt tank. What I do is keep one full cartridge in the slot, and then slide extra floss style pads in between it just to have extra pieces. Also, behind the biowheel, is a square space that I stuff some floss in there, too, just to have as much as I can. I wouldn't throw away that cartridge. You can always cut a slit in dump out the carbon if you wanted and slide it right back in. The Penguin 100 may have even more room than mine. I was able to keep the full cartridge, plus 3-4 extra squares of floss in mine. When my qt is not set up, I have the floss squares in my main tanks HOB.

3. OP
    OP
    Nauthes

Nice Idea.
    Any idea where i can find some floss like this?

Do you have a link or anything to what id be looking for?

4. Punkin

I bought stuff like this at my local Pet Supplies Plus. I would think that other chains may have it. Also, Dr. Foster and Smith, which is where I got the picture. I bought it in a bulk/cut to fit piece for about $6.
    upload_2017-4-13_10-51-58.png

5. MTSRandy

MTSRandy Valued Member Member

I have a marineland hob with the biowheels. What I did was buy 2 aquaclear sponges the approximate size of the cartridge area. Then I placed a bag of ceramic rings on top of the sponge. Both the sponge and the rings house your biological. I dont use carbon at all. I think for mine which has 2 biowheels the aquaclear 70 sponge was the right size. I pushed it down to the bottom of the basket then put the ring bag on top. It came just up to the waterline when the filter was running.
    I would just measure the size of your basket and match it with a sponge that is close. You can trim the sponge to fit. The sponge never gets replaced. Just rinse it in tank water when its gets gunky.

6. OP
    OP
    Nauthes

Perfect i could even seed it with some of my own Seachem Matrix from my canister.
    Just use a nylon bag and the water just runs over it?

And you put it in the cartridge area, meaning you've removed the cartridge and use these thick sponges instead?

Sorry I'm also going to go a bit off topic.
    Would using some of my bio media insta-cycle her tank.
    Maybe just let it run in my tank for a few weeks and should be nice and ready to go?

Only problem would be trying to move the filter back to her house 2hrs away

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  7. stang7606

stang7606 Valued Member Member

I took a quietflow 20 and took out their cartridge. I bought the blue filter foam (looks like above) in a sheet from Kensfish. I cut that and put in in the cartridge holster and installed it backwards. It made a large space between the foam and the outflow to put a bag of ceramic rings in (probably 150 grams worth, a guess based on how empty the box is). I also put a fluval filter over the intake. My tank cycled seems to be stable. I clean the intake filter every few days and the inside one hasn't hardly gotten dirty yet. Seems to be working. I got the idea from another post on here.

8. MTSRandy

MTSRandy Valued Member Member

Yes I do not use cartridges at all. I put the sponge and the bio rings in the basket where the cartridges go

9. Punkin

Actually I do use one cartridge because I feel the frame helps hold the extra media in place so it doesn't "ball up" ( I don't know how to describe it :p) in the slot. I think the frame helps hold it in place. Just a personal preference.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice