HOB filter and electrical outages? Question

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

How do you deal with your HOB when the electricity goes out? If my water level is high enough it will start again by itself. However if the waters down a little bit it has to be primed. I'm worried about when I go on vacation. My sister will come over to check on everything but it might be a week. I have an automatic feeder which could actually go for a month but I would ask her to come over more often just to check everything. If the electricity goes off for an hour because of a storm, what happens to my pump?

2. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Well its really not your filters you need to be worried about when the power goes out, I would get get a battery operated air pump so if the power does go out they still get oxygen. Most HOB's now days will self prime even if they don't say it on packaging, of course the water level does have to be high enough.

Maybe have a neighbor get your number and if the power goes out then they can call you, so you can let your sister (or possibly neighbor if they are trustworthy) check on them.

3. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Thank you for the idea. I will have a neighbor contact me when I'm out of town and then I can call my sister. However when I did a 50% water change the other day and I brought it back so that the bottom portion of my intake was underwater but the top portion wasn't it would not prime itself. I have the API Superclean 50. It does have dual water intakes.

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Linda, that's a valid concern whether we're on vacation or just out of the house when power goes out.

This video is from JRC3.
    It might help give you some peace of mind.

Basically he rigged up an air pump and ran the hoses so it pumps water into the filter keeping it from running dry.

There are air pumps that run on electricity but will switch to the back up batteries should the power fail.
    Click to watch it on youtube for a a little more explanation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHRkaONOmuk#t=13

5. fishingdeep Member Member

Nothing but a back up auto-generator will really help. I haven't seen any heaters that will help out when this happens. So maybe add styrofoam to your tanks sides, I do that to prevent that again

6. Jim Well Known Member Member

Two HOBs that self prime all the time are Aqueon and Marina.

7. FiscCyning Member Member

If you have a battery backup (like for computers) you can plug your filter and heater into that while you're on vacation.

8. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I do plan on having a sponge filter in the tank also but I'm curious if the filter doesn't prime itself will it burned out? And if so how long would it take. My sister is about a half hour away. I'm not planning on getting a generator and I don't know anything about battery backups.

9. FiscCyning Member Member

I guess battery backups are kind of obsolete now that everyone has laptops instead of desktop computers, but they are still available. You plug your electronics into the backup and if the power goes out it still supplies power for a few hours so your electronics can keep running through short power outages. I'm not sure it's really worth getting one if you don't have it already though, since they start around $40: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=battery+backup&rh=n:172282,k:battery+backup

10. fishingdeep Member Member

Just saying , a power drain is a power drain. I was only thinking about your tanks and to rescue them. Last thing on my mind was using anything else ...

11. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

. This is video showed what it was doing but not how it was done.

12. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

. I figure if I have a sponge filter in my tank that will start filtering when the power comes back on. My concern was for the HOB if it does not prime, will it burn up? Do I need to be concerned about fire hazard?

13. fishingdeep Member Member

HOB are self priming, so don't worry. Do you have an odd one? Last 20 years and beyond will prime so don't worry. It really is about the bb dying during that time

14. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Air hose attached to air pump.
    The air hose is inserted a larger airline that is put into the filter.(where the intake tube is)

The air pushes the water up through the larger line.

(Hope that made sense)

15. fishingdeep Member Member

I thought the original post included power outages .... I went the wrong way or the right way? So what are you asking to be clear? Thanks

16. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Mine is new & didn't prime after the water change

17. fishingdeep Member Member

Prime has nothing to do with the first post. Should the post name be changed ?

18. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I was asking what could I do if the power went out and when it came back on my pump didn't start working because it didn't prime itself. Do I need to make sure that the water level is always very high? And if it doesn't start will it burn out? And if it will burn out about how long would that take?

19. fishingdeep Member Member

No, no, and no. Again you ask about power out?

20. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I had a bad experience with the Aquaclear's - They do not self prime and several times I had the power go out and somehow it lost suction and the water level was low - so the filter ran for several hours ( finally it started squealing and making a high pitched sound )
    When I discovered it, the motor was so hot I couldn't touch it! :mad:
    This happened several times and I was told "Aquaclears" are great filters, etc etc etc but even after yet buying ANOTHER NEW one, it did the same thing ( didn't self prime after a power outage )
    I ended up getting a canister.

As far as self-priming HOBS go, the only one I have found is the AQUEON brands ( I currently have 2 on my 72 gallon ) and NEVER had a problem in the 2 + years I have had the filters. The power goes out or I turn power off, and it starts right up the first time! :)