HOB & Canister Filter in the Same Tank?

uspatriot

In my 55G Freshwater tank I currently have 2 Aqueon 30 HOB filters. I want to increase the GPH ever so slightly. I have inherited a Fluval 205 canister filter. Are there any downsides to adding it to my current setup? Or is the 400 GPH I have now sufficient?

Dolfan

What you have is probably sufficient. If it were me, I would run 1 of the Aqueon HOB's and then the Fluval 205. The combo of a HOB and canister would be great. All 3 would work, but probably be overkill. Are you having any issues?

I personally like running a sponge filter as supplemental filtration in my tanks. My 40 gallon has a SunSun HW-302 canister and then a dual sponge filter from ebay. 20 gallon has a Penguin 150 HOB with the same dual sponge filter. I like them for the aeration as well as backup potential, you can run them with a battery powered air pump during storms or major power outages.

Tennesseecowboy

I agree with Dolfan on this one, I'd use the canister and one of the hobs. It just seems more balanced that way imo.

uspatriot

Thank you for the suggestions. My only concern is that the Aqueon QuietFlow 30 provides 200 GPH and the Fluval 205 provides 180GPH, therefore lowering my GPH from 400 to 380. Will that still be sufficient for my 55G planted tank?

uspatriot

Also, sorry about being a total dummy, but I have no idea how to set this thing up. I opened it up and there are several compartments. I have no idea what goes where on this thing. Can someone direct me to a thread that explains it in layman's terms?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom