Hmpk Koi [spawn Log]

Cameron2585

HMPK Koi Male x HMPK Koi Female Spawn Log.

I started conditiong my pair today. Here is a picture of the male:

IMG_20190320_185541.jpg
Here's the female:

Screenshot_20190324-072053.jpg
Conditiong started today on the 24th of March. I will introduce them into the breeding tank on the 31st of March and post an update of them.

windrunner9189

keeping this thread watched! I can't wait to see progress.

Cameron2585

The female is eating bloodworms but I'm going to have to condition the male with high quality flakes again because he never eats bloodworms
I named the male Eclipse and the female Sunset. (names were suggested by Mary765)

To condition the pair I am feeding the female either bloodworms twice a day and flakes twice a day or bloodworms three times a day and flakes once. For the male I'm just giving him flakes but not overfeeding so I don't cause any swim bladder issues or bloating etc. because he doesn't eat bloodworms for some reason.

Addie42

ok both parents are stunning
can't wait to see the babies
LOVE the blue eyes on the female

Cameron2585

ok both parents are stunning
can't wait to see the babies
LOVE the blue eyes on the female
Thanks!

Just a note:the females colours are brightwr and don't all show in the picture. She was a little stressed cause I moved her out of the tank for a picture

Here's a few pictures of the female with her colours that are brighter now

IMG_20190325_180325.jpg
IMG_20190325_180340.jpg
IMG_20190325_180344.jpg

Eclipse has ate bloodworms for the first time!! I chose the smallest bloodworms and got his attention, then I hand fed him. He is still very picky with which bloodworms he ate but he ate them!!!

Guanchy

Beautiful pair of bettas! good luck

Cameron2585

Beautiful pair of bettas! good luck
Thanks! I'm hoping to have some nice koi fry

I'm actually trying to schedule everything so the fry hatch on the 1st of April but If the spawning isn't successful it won't work out as planned.

Guanchy

Make sure you start you live culture asap so they have food ready when they are ready to eat

Cameron2585

Make sure you start you live culture asap so they have food ready when they are ready to eat
I have cultures of microworms already and BBS. I just need my infusoria culture to get going. I started it about 14 hours ago but it should have enough infusoria in it by 1st April

3 days left until conditioning is over and I can introduce the female in a jar for 2 days. It feel like I've been waiting for ever!

Going to add them to the breeding tank tomorrow. Should I add a nerite snail or not?
(the snails aren't in the breeding tank in the photo)
IMG_20190320_190324.jpg

Here's the breeding tank. I need to remove the cup and tape it again

The female and male both seem to be getting distracted by the space they have and tje male just swims and won't build a nest.

IMG_20190329_121218_BURST002.jpg
IMG_20190329_121213_BURST009.jpg

I think this project has failed. The male tries to wrap the female but she is too big and she seems to throw him off. She doesn't seem impressed by the male and she keeps breaking his nest. I know the male is supposed to be bigger but I've tried it out anyway to see if it works out.

Omg omgomgomgomgomgogmavwkvmwpcjwoc.
After 24 hrs of them being in the breeding tank, I was about to remove them and get a new male/female. I haven't been able to watch them for the past 6 hours. I came home and couldn't see any eggs oe anything. I removed the female, lifted the styrofoam and still no eggs. I placed it in a bucket of water and I saw about 200 eggs!!!!! I tried to put them infront of the male with a pipette slowly. He picked up most of them but some are still in the bucket and at the bottom of his tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20190328_155646.jpg
    IMG_20190328_155646.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 144

AbraCadaver

It took mine... 3 days? Just started putting eggs in the nest today it’s awesome! Mine are under my main aquarium in the dark because my male is weird, and if he sees you he like... darts towards you flaring... very protective.so loads of privacy. I don’t think he’d have done anything without it, that may be the case with your male... one thing that helped me with seeing them was using the bottom of a styraphoam cup... leaving some of the edge on so it kinda dipped in the water... and it’s a smaller area to look under without having to move it too much.
I just did it my first time, this just worked easiest for me... and ya know, circumstances of having an angry daddy Betta who wanted privacy to dance with his woman, lol.

Cameron2585

The fry hatched on apriil fools, (1st April) and they're almost free swimming already. They should all be free swimming tomorrow and then I'll remove the male. Here's a photo of a few of them hanging g out
IMG_20190402_050710.jpg

Update:
All fry are free swimming and I removed Eclipse (the male)
They don't really show on camera but there are about 300!!!

Here's a photo of just one area of the container
IMG_20190402_153915.jpg

An update on the fry. Absolutely no deaths at all!!! I fed them infusoria on day 1 (adter5they became free swimming) and they tried out BBS and they ate them. I am now feeding BBS 3 times a day and sometimes I will replace 1 feeding of BBS with microworms. All their stomach's are full and they are doing well! What I have noticed is that some have light bodies and are almost white and some are yellow and have dark eyes. The white ones seem to be weaker and the last spawn I had were all like the white ones. I won't be posting photos yet because my camera just doesn't pick them up

I've actually managed to take a photo. Look at the cute fry with their stomach's full of baby brine shrimp!
Screenshot_20190403-204904.jpg
Screenshot_20190403-204826.jpg

IMG_20190404_050725.jpg

Still no loses at all! It's impossible to count but they're all eating. I will post a new picture on 7th april when they're 1 week old (hatched on 1st April)

ETNsilverstar

They're so cute!!

Cameron2585

Found 2 dead fry I'm starting to get a little worried now.

Photo

Attachments

• IMG_20190404_175759.jpg
    IMG_20190404_175759.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 114

JamieLu

Found 2 dead fry I'm starting to get a little worried now.
Why are u worried? I would say some are just a bit weaker possibly. With that many I'm sure not all will survive.

Cameron2585

Moved them to the 10 gal last night. Found about 8 dead fry this morning

Cameron2585

Fry are 8 days old. I lost quite a few but I'd say there are still around 100.
IMG_20190408_063317.jpg
IMG_20190408_063254.jpg

AbraCadaver

This is pure awesome
I just got my first koi can’t wait to breed!
I’ve had a few of my fry die on me, too. I probably have 100 or so left

Cameron2585

This is pure awesome
I just got my first koi can’t wait to breed!
I’ve had a few of my fry die on me, too. I probably have 100 or so left
Cool! I'd love to see you create a thread with some photos of them

Cameron2585

Just counted and there are about 120-130.
Yes, a lot died but the weak and smaller ones died. The ones that are left are all healthy and doing well. They doubled in size for sure and some even tripled! (still tiny)
IMG_20190409_183241.jpg
IMG_20190409_183230.jpg

ETNsilverstar

I love all the pictures you post! <3

Cameron2585

I love all the pictures you post! <3
Thanks!
I'll be able to take betta pictures in a few weeks when they're bigger and moved to an actual tank

Cameron2585

14 days old, roughly 0.4cm.
Moved them to a 40gal 2 days ago btw
IMG_20190414_182205.jpg
IMG_20190414_182128.jpg

Also their dorsal fins are starting to develop!!
They didn't show this morning but now they're visible

They are acrually 0.5cm long
Screenshot_20190414-215937.jpg
Screenshot_20190414-215949.jpg
Screenshot_20190414-184927.jpg

AbraCadaver

Mine still look like dots with tails, lol.
Any advice on how to move them? I want to put them in my bigger tank with no substrate.

JamieLu

Cant wait to see what theyll look like!

Cameron2585

Mine still look like dots with tails, lol.
Any advice on how to move them? I want to put them in my bigger tank with no substrate.
First of all the new tank has to be cycled and adapted for the fry. Let's assume all that has been done. I lowered the water level to just about an inch or so and made sure it was exactly the same temperature. I started to take water from their 10 gal into a bucket and try not to scoop up any fry. I put that water into the tank and I did that till the 10 gal only had about an inch or so of water aswell. I then poured the remaining water with all the fry into a breeder box in the 40gal very very very very gently. I left them in the breeder box just overnight so if any died from the movement of tanks I would know but luckily none did. I also fed them twice in the breeder box before releasing them to make sure they're still all eating. The next morning I put the breeder box sideways and I let them swim out on their own. Be super careful when pouring the je water with the fry. It's better to syphon them out with airline tubing but I couldn't do that as the fry are too big and are strong enough to swim against the suction of the syphon. This is the only photo I took of the breeder box. I still have over 100 fry and today I just measured one and he/she was 0.6cm!! (I also spend more than an hour everyday just watching them because they're so cute and adorable) In the photo there's only 2 that show. That's because I only put in 2 for the first few minutes because I had caught them by mistake while lowering the water level of the 10 gal.
IMG_20190412_195051.jpg

Here the fry that measured 0.6cm.
They are 15 days old.
Screenshot_20190415-073041.jpg
Screenshot_20190415-073054.jpg

AbraCadaver

First of all the new tank has to be cycled and adapted for the fry. Let's assume all that has been done. I lowered the water level to just about an inch or so and made sure it was exactly the same temperature. I started to take water from their 10 gal into a bucket and try not to scoop up any fry. I put that water into the tank and I did that till the 10 gal only had about an inch or so of water aswell. I then poured the remaining water with all the fry into a breeder box in the 40gal very very very very gently. I left them in the breeder box just overnight so if any died from the movement of tanks I would know but luckily none did. I also fed them twice in the breeder box before releasing them to make sure they're still all eating. The next morning I put the breeder box sideways and I let them swim out on their own. Be super careful when pouring the je water with the fry. It's better to syphon them out with airline tubing but I couldn't do that as the fry are too big and are strong enough to swim against the suction of the syphon. This is the only photo I took of the breeder box. I still have over 100 fry and today I just measured one and he/she was 0.6cm!! (I also spend more than an hour everyday just watching them because they're so cute and adorable) In the photo there's only 2 that show. That's because I only put in 2 for the first few minutes because I had caught them by mistake while lowering the water level of the 10 gal.
IMG_20190412_195051.jpg
Great advice! You should make a YouTube video about how you do that. I went ahead and moved them last night... what I did was:
I had a cycled tank with no fish, since I put all my fish but my puffers in my 60. I actually left the old tank alone since it was cycled, I’d vacuumed it and stuff but let it run. So I removed the gravel, plants, and took off the filter. (Hang in filter)
I cut a sponge, and used thread and needle to tie it around intake. Took out carbon, added a sponge inside instead. To reduce water flow, I used a tall rock with Anubias, sat the filter on the bottom of the tank, and used the rock as a slow “waterfall” so the water flows down the rock instead of directly in tank. Since they’re small, I chose to keep water half full for now. I used some airline tubing to suction fish into a vase. After that, I added tank water to a separate vase to put into the “new” tank.
I then put the fish in the vase in the tank, using the tubing to slowly drip water from tank into vase with fish. After doing this a while, I slowly tipped vase over, let them swim I to tank, then fed them. Next morning, all is well so I’m hoping it all stays well.

Cameron2585

Roughly all about 0.5 to 0.6cm now

Most of the fry are white and some are just normal so I'm guessing they have that nice white-blueish like the male had. Here's a photo of the two next to each other
IMG_20190416_063856.jpg

Massive growth since yesterday!
It seems like 50% of the fry are white and the rest are normal. Their analfins also show now

Here's a photo of one of the biggest fry (the white one) doesn't quite show in the photo but hes 0.8cm and they actually look like bettas now.

IMG_20190417_154120.jpg
AND
I JUST NOTICED ONE IS RED. Look at the top of his body and you'll see a red line. (the normal coloured fry next to the
IMG_20190417_154138.jpg
IMG_20190417_154138.jpg shrimp molt)

Look at this cute little one! (he's one of the smallest fry)
Screenshot_20190417-155133.jpg
Screenshot_20190417-155141.jpg

I slowly started to fill the tank. One thing I noticed is that when I turn off the lights all the fry gather at the top of the tank in a corner. When the lights are on there usually aren't any fry there but they all gather there when it's dark.

Here's a photo. The white fry is 0.9cm.
They are 19 days old.

IMG_20190419_154903.jpg
IMG_20190419_154714.jpg

Bad news. I was just looking at that photo and found a hydra on the leaf. I have the treatment for pest snails which can also be used for the hydra. I used it in the tank before but I'm worried about using it in the fry tank. What should I do?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190415-163319.jpg
    Screenshot_20190415-163319.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_20190415-163324.jpg
    Screenshot_20190415-163324.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 105

Rtessy

Google and look at it in different fish forums. I've used fenbendazole with fry and shrimp before, they were fine.
Also, be sure to remove any snails, they get killed by that stuff.

Cameron2585

Th
Google and look at it in different fish forums. I've used fenbendazole with fry and shrimp before, they were fine.
Also, be sure to remove any snails, they get killed by that stuff.
Thanks, I almost forgot about my nerite snails

Here's a photo
IMG_20190419_160212.jpg

Rtessy

From what I can find, some people had issues using with fish, most didn't

Cameron2585

From what I can find, some people had issues using with fish, most didn't
That's what I'm just reading now, should I use it or not yet? I'm not too sure on what to do

Rtessy

I'm not sure, any chance you have a PetSmart or some place that sells Panacur - C nearby? I know that's super safe

Cameron2585

I'm not sure, any chance you have a PetSmart or some place that sells Panacur - C nearby? I know that's super safe
Nope. The instructions are for 100l and my tank is 165 litres. If I use the dose for a 100l tank it would be a little dilute and maybe that will help? (I just remembered it's not all full but if I dilute the dose a little would it be better?)

WinterSoldier.

They are so cute!

Rtessy

I'm not sure, sorry, I've never used that medication

Cameron2585

It feels like they're taking forever to grow! Under a flashlight they are all blue or have blue fins. They're almost like they're covered in blue glitter. That isn't the colour they will show as adults but it's still pretty cool to see. I am noticing that some are already nipping each other a tiny bit. No fin damage or anything atleast

Added a piece of driftwood and java fern.
IMG_20190420_214143.jpg

They are 3 weeks old today. The biggest ones are around 1cm (with caudal fin)
IMG_20190421_085021.jpg
IMG_20190421_085016.jpg
IMG_20190421_085026.jpg

The fry are chasing each other occasionally and nipping at each other which deifinetely isn't a good sign at just 21 days old.

Wooohooo I just noticed they have their ventral fins!! They're so tiny but the big ones have them so that's a good thing

I've also noticed one has some red colouration at the caudal peduncle and also on its analfin

They deifinetely know when I'm about to feed them! As soon as I turn on the lights they all gather in the middle of the tank at the top. They're so cute! When the lights turn off thry go to the bottom to scavenge off some extra food or microorganisms. And during the night they all gather in one corner aswell

Here's a short video

JamieLu

Here's a short video
U were worried cuz u lost some in the beginning, but looks like u still got quite a bit! Very cute

Cameron2585

I added some crushed flakes to their bbs feeding to try and get them to eat dry foods slowly. They all just eat the flakes and spit them out. It will take a couple of days or even weeks to get them to eat flakes but I added 2 guppy fry in there to maybe speed up the process.

More fry are getting red on their fins aswell

Here's a video of them getting a tiny bit aggressive already...

I have a feeling that I'll need to separate them way earlier than normal

You can see some red on this guy's fins

RainBetta

I'm a little late to your thread, but so far, I'm super impressed with how well they all turned out! All of the fry are looking like they're going to have lots of color

Cameron2585

One fry is having some issues. He just sinks. He tries to go up and swim but just keeps sinking and just spends lots of time resting on the filter. I'm thinking it's because of the bbs. Still trying to transition them to eating frozen foods and pellets/flakes

Added some java moss. Got all that for €5!
IMG_20190423_195315.jpg
IMG_20190423_195322.jpg

IMG_20190423_195530.jpg Here's just a regular 15cm ruler infront of the moss just for size comparison

(ill place it neatly at the side tomorrow)(the moss)

I got the moss so when I jar the babies I will be able to add some moss into each jar btw

Rtessy

Ayyy, that's awesome!!

Cameron2585

24 days old
IMG_20190424_073053.jpg
IMG_20190424_073048.jpg
IMG_20190424_073020.jpg
IMG_20190424_073022.jpg
IMG_20190424_073023.jpg
IMG_20190424_073018.jpg
IMG_20190424_073015.jpg
IMG_20190424_072828.jpg
IMG_20190424_072823.jpg

Should I rescape the tank? I don't think it's a good idea because of the fry but the tank is just a mess because of all the moss I've added and the new driftwood and I've also just got a few more plants from a friend. Only plants will be moved and the driftwood but I have aquasoil so the water will become all brown from moving the gravel a tiny bit

Rtessy

I'd leave it a mess, fry like to get in the way and there's a good chance of them getting injured, they're not that smart yet

Cameron2585

Ill scape it later then maybe in a month or so? I'll try plan out where stuff will go for when I do move them

Cameron2585

They're really starting to show colour now but I can't quite pick it up on camera yet

Finally a good photo. I can only seem to get good photos for the e cellophane fry

IMG_20190425_083931.jpg

IMG_20190425_092609.jpg
IMG_20190425_092557.jpg

Cameron2585

Intresting... One has black fins

Cameron2585

The biggest one is at 1.9cm which means they are growing faster than the growth chart I'm pretty sure most breeders know of. The chart says they are at 0.45inches at four weeks which is 1.1cm. Mine are around 1.5-1.8cm with the largest 2 fry ar 1.9cm and are at 27 days (not 4 weeks yet, they'll be 4 weeks old tomorrow)

Doing a water change and switching filters because the sponge filter isn't going to be enough anymore. It can be used for a tank up to 125l and mine is 165l and there's a lot of fish so I decided to remove the sponge filter

I counted them and there's actually around 180-200 fry! A lot more than I thought, what a surprise!

Attachments

• IMG_20190427_155515.jpg
    IMG_20190427_155515.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 98

aquafrogg

Can't wait to see how they turn out! How much will you be selling them for?

Cameron2585

Can't wait to see how they turn out! How much will you be selling them for?
For €5 but only within my country. Can't wait till they grow up aswell!

aquafrogg

For €5 but only within my country. Can't wait till they grow up aswell!
Aw nuts! Wish you were here in america, those are some beautiful babies!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AbraCadaver
Replies
Views
Cameron2585
Replies
Views
Demeter
  • Question
Replies