Hmmmmm...Wheres he gone?

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
2 weeks ago I went away for the weekend on an orchestra course and left my 2 fish tanks with my mum in charge.

When I got home on the sunday afternoon my mum said that she couldn't seeo ne of the guppies any more in the 7.5gal tank, and when I had a look I could only see 1 guppie in the tank as well. I checked everywhere. I moved the plants, lifted the rocks and decor, moved the gravel around a bit but there was no sign of him. I've done a couple of water changes since and still no sign. There's no way he could have jumped out because the lid is attached the the tank and you have to unclip it to get it off, so i've ruled that one out.

My dad suggested that the one I have left may have eaten him if he died. :-X But I'm not sure. What do you think?

Thanks

Gwenz

P.S. - The one guppie I have left seems very healthy and eating fine and swimms around just about everywhere in the tank.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am very sorry to hear that. I'm not sure what to think. I don't know if a Guppy would eat the body of a dead fish or not, although I know some fish will.

Are there any openings in the lid, like where the filter goes? I have heard of fish jumping out of a tank through a like 1/2 inch space between a hob filter and the hood. Have you searched the floor just in case?

OP
Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
Yes I have checked but there's no way he could have got out. There is a gap for the wires of the filter and heater but they take up most of that gap as it is only a small hole so he wouldn't have fit through and also the fish was quite ill as well - lying at the bottom, not eating for example.

Now this is really wierd. Last night, I did a water change on my 15gal and noticed one neon was missing. I searched high and low for him too and checked the floor because it has happened before with that tank, but not there.

It's wierd. Fish are just magicaly dissapearing!! LOL!!

Gwenz

felixfefe

Reaction score
Ahh, the fish fairy strikes again...an evil presence that snatches unsuspecting little fishies just when you never expect it to :-[..Where do they go? Nobody knows... ???WHY do they "evaporate" from physical existence? : Anyones guess...
I fear that this phenomina may be connected to the mystery of the tangled wires...Leave a perfectly UNtangled pair of wires alone together...and by morning time...They're mysteriously tangled! Why? Don't know, but it's really annoying... How? I could guess... But I know i'd come off as a mentalist if I told you what I REALLY think about it.....

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, don't give up on them. I hadn't seen my Pygmy Cory Mudsplash for like 2 weeks. I started to think she must have died like two of my others did awhile back, of some mysterious bacterial disease. But just this morning I saw her hanging out with the other two behind the sponge filter. So I guess she's just extra good at hiding. Maybe your fish will pop up when you aren't expecting it.

OP
Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
felixfefe said:
any pleasant discoveries yet?
Or unpleasant...
No not yet. :-\

I have checked everywhere, and have moved thing in the tank to look under them and stuff, but they aren't there. :-\ I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

JI'm said:
Sounds like the aquarium fish in "Finding Nemo". You leave and they plan their escape!
Lol. I know what you mean. lol.

Gwenz

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
maybe it did die and the other fish got peckish. seen it in pet shops where one fish dies and the others all peck at it and rip it apart like hyenas. grim. when my guppy died the other guppies never bothered it. it looked undamaged when I found it and the other fish didnt give me any clue as to where the dead one was. they do go really pale when they die. took me ages to dind my dead guppy, then today my neon died and took me ages to find. thought that'd be easy to find as its so bright, but was almost white when I found him among the roots and gravel of a plant. i'd almost given up on finding him dead or alive. he seemed to try to bury himself. lets hope yours will turn up. my pleco hides for ages, then appears just when i've about given up on him. food usually entices him out of his hiding places!!
tan

shollia

Reaction score
Hmm.. I remember when my danios came up missing. The first one just disappeared but she popped back up the next day. I still have no idea where she hid.
The 2nd one disappeared and while I was looking for her for the 2nd time.... I saw a tiny little tail poking out from under the gravel/rocks in the tank. BOY that freaked my out. I quickly got the stuff off of her and she darted out.
Later on when I was trying to get her out of the tank to put her into the hospital tank to treat her finrot... She nose-dived right into the rocks and tryed to bury herself... which really surprised me lol

So anywho!! Maybe your fish are getting into the gravel? How large are the rocks you're using in your tank? The ones we're using in our 28gal are fairly large so there are a number of areas that are big enough for them to squeeze into to hide/get stuck in the gravel.

OP
Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
I have checked the gravel and moved the rocks, but no sign. I think I just have to exept that they have died. :'(

Dnt really know what else to do.

Gwenz

OP
Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
Yes Hopefully. I knew the guppie was ill, that's why I know he is probably dead. He was just lying on the gravel struggling to breath, but I didn't know what to do. I went away for the weekend leaving mum in charge of the tanks and when I came back he was gone. :-\ ???

Oh well.

Gwenz

New Threads