hmmm white worm on cardinal

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by llfish, Jan 11, 2013.

1. llfish

llfishWell Known MemberMember

Hi I was staring into my tank and noticed one of my cardinal tetra has what looks like a tiny white worm on his body and dorsal fin. I tried to get a good picture but I can't. Any idea what it could be. I was thinking of using Prazi pro or something but anyone have this before? I assuming it is a parasite. Did a water check params are good Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 10, temp is 78.
    * it also looks like 3 tiny clear "bubbles" are surrounding the white thing on the dorsal.

2. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

If it looks like a clear blister with a fine white thread inside I may have dealt with what you have. The cardinals that I had with it would exhibit clear blisters with the worms, growing in quantity in time. I treated with Tetra Parasite guard, Prazi pro, and API general cure with no success.

I started aggressively culling all fish exhibiting symptoms and haven't had a recurrance in 7 months or so. It is worth mentioning all my cardinals are wild-caught so can have all sorts of parasites we aren't familiar with.

You may be able to treat but thought I'd share my experience.

3. OP
    OP
    llfish

llfishWell Known MemberMember

That sounds exactly what it looks like, I culled the one cardinal another one may have as well. Did you find that it spread to other fish at all? or is it in the tank? I do believe my cards are wild caught as well I got them from petsmart about 2 months ago.
    *edit* Thank you!!

4. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I'm not sure if it was already present in some of them and they just began exhibiting symptoms after awhile or if it was being transferred. However, I didn't tear down/sterilize the tank and after the culling of 5 or so individuals I didn't have any recourrance. I did cull any fish with even a hint of a blister.

You're welcome. :) I hope things pan out okay for you and the fish!

5. Ozzychila

OzzychilaNew MemberMember

Hi all, just thought I'd try and help here. Iv had a couple of batches of cardinal tetras now with this problem. 1st time round I tried a few things but to no avail and ended up culling about 3 or 4 cardinals due to the strange White worm they had infesting there skin. The 2nd lot of cardinals I have had same thing, it's like you can buy cardinal and won't spot anything for a few months then you see the small worms start to develop. Luckily this time I had a small quarintine tank. Put the infected fish into this separate tank and treated with king britsh methylne blue with great results. Took about 3-5 days to start getting good results and treated a couple of times. I did a third dose and kept my fish in quarantine for about 2 week in total. This worked for me and hope it works for others on this mysterious worm infection. May I stress to never use methylene blue in a main tank/show tank or planted tank always a quarantine tank because the dye is really strong. Hope my experience helps others. Happy fish keeping people