What should I do with my 29g?

1. Keep with the tropical community theme

35 vote(s)
    89.7%
  2. Take the tropicals back to the LFS and get goldies

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

I was thinking earlier that I'm getting a little bored with my tank. My female betta, guppy, and most of my loaches have died. In my 29 gallon, I now have:

5 zebra danios
    11 neon tetras
    1 kuhli loach
    1 black mystery snail
    An infestation of Malaysian Trumpet Snails

I could have more than 1 loach, but I'm not sure. I had 5, I know for sure that one died because I found it, but I only ever see one at a time, so I'm thinking that the rest died and that the snails - ahem - disposed of them.

Then the thought popped into my head that basically I just have 2 schools of fish in my tank, and not a lot of individual fish with personalities, if that makes any sense. All of the sudden, I had a thought that I could take both schools of fish and the loach to the LFS if I wanted to, and then I could get some goldfish. I could drastically re-do the whole tank, make it bare-bottom, etc. and have 2 fancy goldies.

What does everyone think about this? I'm not sure I want to do it, because then I wouldn't have a community tank, but I'm not sure I like what's going on with my tank right now. Would it make me a bad fish owner to take all of those fish back to the LFS? Should I go through with this idea, or stay with what I have? I've wanted to do fancy goldfish before, but I had a bad experience because they all died withing a couple of months.

Can I please get a lot of opinions? I'd really appreciate it!

Also, please vote in the poll!

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I voted for the community tank. You could get a honey sunset gourami as a centerpiece fish, maybe?

I love schools of fish - they look so pretty swimming around.

But overall, Maddie, I think this is a personal choice. I don't think it makes you a bad person to rehome your fish and get goldies instead. :)

3. KyWildFish Well Known Member Member

Goldies are fun, but super dirty. I have my goldie tank double filtrated and it usually needs to be 50% changed weekly to keep the nitrates low. If your up for the work they require, they are fun. My set love to see me in the morning and wait at the top for the morning feed, if I am fasting them a day they get cheesed off and sulk in the corner.

(I voted keep the theme BTW)

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I gotta ask...why are all your fish dying?

I agree with you - if there are lots of hiding places, there's no way to know how many kuhlis are actually alive in the tank.

My vote was to keep it a community.

5. cwb141 Member Member

you could make it an oddball tank

6. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

voted for tropical... neons are the coolest!

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I voted for tropical just because goldfish aren't really my thing.

It would be cool if you turned it into a FOWLR tank and kept some non-reef safe fish that I don't have the option of keeping, LOL. It's really not difficult and you could have a few really neat ones.

8. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

I lost my guppy because while we were on vacation my heater & filter quit and the water got reeeally cold. As in, 60 degrees or under. I still can't believe none of the others were dead, especially the neons!

My betta died a few days ago. I noticed that she had a swollen tummy and had floating problems, so I put her in a breeder net and gave her some daphnia in case she was constipated, but by then it was too late. She got out of the net and I found her dead on the bottom.

As for the loaches... I have no clue. There are plenty of hiding places, including a nice piece of driftwood which sits almost-but-not-quite flat on the sand. It is their (or maybe his if I only have 1 left) FAVORITE hiding place.

I guess I'm going to keep it tropical and just wait until I can get another tank for goldfish.

9. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Have you considered apistogramma? They are colorful, fun little cichlids that would do very well in a 29 gallon.

Or, have you thought about a shell dweller tank? They are loads of fun IMO. I have lepidiolamprologus hecqui in my 75 gallon (with other cichlids), and I've kept lamprologus ocellatus "gold" in the past. That would be an easy conversion (some basic rockwork, sand, and shells) and you could probably even get them breeding- great for future store credit! :p

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

wow, I must admit I wasn't expecting the vote to go this way. I thought it would be a close race, with goldies winning out...
    if I'm surprised, you must be too, MaddieLynn

11. cwb141 Member Member

Hi MaddieLynn, I voted for tropical. I don't think that you should do what other people would do though. You should do what you want and ask for suggestions on how to make your ideas work the best. That said, good luck with whichever tank you decide on going with.:;tea

12. Katrina Initiate Member

I love goldfish, and I miss not having them right now, but I'd recommend a tropical tank because I feel very sorry for goldfish in most tanks due to the size potential and life span that they have in the wild. They get huge when they have room to grow, and aquariums seem to stunt and kill them far before their time. Goldfish can live up to 20 years (or more) in the wild (or a pond). Mine lived about 12 years in a 75 gallon--I had 2. Plus, tropical fish aquariums can be really interesting, since you have so much to choose from. So that's my vote... :)

13. Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

I'm thinking if its goldfish you want you should get one or two and be happy instead of not liking what you have and not have fun doing it. Get something that excites you and go with it...JMHO:;dete

14. Katrina Initiate Member

Goldwing Don: Your motorcycle-riding smiley is hilarious. I've sat here and watched him and giggled.

15. Omgami Member Member

I love the fancy goldfish and as soon as I find the right Orandas I'm adding two to my 75 gal tank. The tank only contains two small black moors and 5 rosie minnows right now. I don't find them hard to keep at all and I get a real kick out of their personalities. I vote for the goldies and I don't think rehoming is bad. I have a few fish that I'm very attached to and would never rehome but a few others that I would rehome for just the right fish in my tank. Of course you could add another tank and have both.

16. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I recently got bolivian rams and they rock. You could always add one of them, they dont mind being alone. Just make sure you get want you really want so you dont have to worry about being in the same situation in a few months.

17. Hendryx Member Member

I voted goldies!! but then again I may be a little biased lol..:;smack

18. scatty Member Member

I voted tropical. I love neons and Corys, cant help myself.

19. kloseo Well Known Member Member

i vote tropical, i love rainbow fish and some dwarf rainbows would be cool:;scuba

20. Elodea Well Known Member Member

Tropical! I just love the look of a heavily planted tank full of neons and kuhli loaches (and zebra danios). Brightly colored neon tetras darting in and out of a lush greenery...what's not to like?