hitting rock bottom

1. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

i have just about hit rock bottom in my fish hobby... i lost 4 breeder bettas this week and half my aquatic plants and 5 gold fish and i dont know how much more of these hard times i can take after all of this its got me thinking its not worth it i lost over 100 dollars is fish and plants and supplies im thinking of just packing it all up and selling all of my tanks and everything cuz i just dont know what to do i dont have the money anymore to keep all this up. idk what to do anymore guys... of course i want to keep all my fishy friends but the cost of it and the fact im moving soon i just idk what to do....

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry you're having a hard time of it now, and I know where you're coming from. I'm going through the same debate myself right now with my tank.

Here is the best advice I can offer: a lot of members here can tell people how to do a water change, how to grow live plants, how to pick out compatible species, and everything else anyone could want to know about a tank. But no one here can tell anyone if they should or should not continue fishkeeping. It's a hobby. Hobbies are supposed to be fun. When the stress of all the maintenance, mishaps, lost fish, lost money, fish dying, plants dying, equipment breaking, and everything else that is part and parcel with fishkeeping outweighs the joy you get out of it, then it's time to walk. But you're the only person that can decide where that line is for you.

3. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

ya its such a hard decision cuz i love all my fishys sooo much but i feel like im hurting them and i cant take care of them anymore. they are like the best friends i ever had cuz they are always there for me when im down and they are funny and kind and they got those eyes every member here knows those eyes of pure unconditional love they give you after rescueing them from a bad expericence uk? i feel bad putting them through another i mean my betta tank was going solely on water changes and plants for a filter till i made a makeshift filter out of diffrent parts cuz it broke. its just hard!

4. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry to hear you have had a rough week. As Adam said, you have to figure out whether you still want to keep fish and enjoy the hobby or if it's just not fun anymore for you. One thing that may help, is scale down your tanks, go to just 1 tank, maybe a community tank so you can see a little of everything. I have 2 tanks and I feel stretched thin sometimes trying to keep up with water changes, ferts, parameters, etc. I could imagine with more, it is exponentially more difficult.

5. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

ya down sizing would be a big help lol i have 3 10 gallons with fish one with newts 1 30 gallon 1 halfly made up 50 gallon and 2 3 gallon tanks i also have tanks i take care of at my grandparents houses because fish keeping wasnt just a hobby its a family tradition my grandma has a tank my great grandparents have 2 tanks and my great grandpa used to run a local fish store with his uncle so its a tradition. everyone on my moms side of the family raised, bred, kept or sold fish so its really hard to disappoint them too...

6. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

And there is no shame in taking a break, if that is what you decide to do. Several moderators here have done so and come back. I'm not calling them out or anything, but only using them as examples that people walk away sometimes and come back later to great success. I think Riv and Hef both did exactly that, but don't quote me on that.

7. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree. Scale it down to make it enjoyable. Don't feel so pressured by the family tradition. It's about loving the hobby, nothing else.

8. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I have to amend what I said earlier: if you're walking away because you think you can't take care of them, then I will try and stop you from doing so. You can take care of them. Shake the thought that you can't. Everyone has peaks and valleys, but you know what you're doing.

9. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Yes I did :)

Many years I went without fish. No shame in that at all. Sometimes we need a break to re evaluate and form a new strategy. Take these days each with a grain of salt, think it through and make a decision. As suggested, you may need to consolidate everything down to one tank, even if that means a single betta or shrimp tank.

I don't think you've "hit rock bottom." This should be reserved for when you've realized that you're doing nothing but bad for something. You care enough about your fish to consider their overall well being, that in itself should tell you you're not a bad fish keeper :)

10. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

ya i guess ill down scale give the 30g to my mom to take care of, get rid of the rest of these guppies althought they are pretty and i finally got the patterns i wanted out of them they over populate like 3 of my tanks and i have a very uneven ratio of male to females! im keeping the bettas though they are my favorite species by far and even though i dont have my breeders i still have my sorority tank and my 2 pet store males! they are always enjoyable! yep that is what i will do and the 50 is getting basemented or sold depending of the requirements i want to get an amphilopus hogaboomorum sometime in the future after i move! so i guess that is what i will do. thanks guys

11. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

If one of us does do this, we should still stay on here.......... :)

12. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

yea still learn more lol after having so much fun with u guys and learning so many things i could never leave you cuz i concider yall friends :) becides one can not just completely leave fish... ever i have like 5 tanks in my basement and 4 at other peoples houses and im proud to be an fish addict!

13. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

As has been said so well above, you might need a break just now, or might not, that decision is yours' alone, and there is no correct answer.
    However, as you did mention money being short, I would definately not go the sell it all route, as should you ever wish to replace it all, your future outlay will far outweigh any immediate income from selling the entire kit. I know that you feel rather fed up at this moment, we all do at times, but please allow yourself the luxury of some time to see if you really wish to purchase the same equipment twice.
    I realise that if you did sell off stuff, you will feel a burden off your back; however, should the itch return, the burden of getting set up again will be rather onerous--so perhaps, you might put away any unused equipment, and go with what you feel that you can handle now.
    And go easy on yourself; an aquarium with easy to keep fish is no less lovely than one with more difficult species.
    Btw, take these ramblings at your own risk, as I just returned from the cottage, where the mosquitoes have left me down a couple of pints, but no worry, I have already started a beer drip:).
    All the best to you, very truly, as Adam said, you do know your stuff, but everyone does need a break on occasion--it is no weakness to be human, and you have had a very trying week--take care, rick
    I would also add that if you do take a break from all aquariums, I hope that you stay about the site, as I enjoy your posts, I will always welcome your staying on.---I truly believe that basically all would second that-rick

14. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

thanks guys :)