Hitchhiking Seastar (id?)

ittybittymonsters

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I picked up some coral from my LFS and found a few of these. I've never owned 'stars before. Is this an asterina? Will it eat my corals (GSP and Zoanthids)? If not, how do I care for it? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Rojer Ramjet

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't find the star, but I've had asternia and they've never hurt anything - my 6 and 12 like wrasses made them disappear pretty fast; same thing with hitchhiking micro brittle stars.

I would mention that it's a horrible practice for an LFS to put more than one Coral in a bag; not only do they beat each other up, they can conduct chemical warfare in each other - this can make YOU sick, and kill your corals.

You are dipping them and quarantining, right? You'll be really disappointed if you don't do both, and end up with majano, aptasia, or nudibranchs.

OP
ittybittymonsters

ittybittymonsters

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry for the terribly late reply! I forgot my login for a while (I'm stupid haha) anyways, I have already from then removed every star I saw just to be safe (I don't have wrasses or anything that would eat them) I have also tried to email my LFS about the multiple-corals-in-one-bag thing. Hopefully they stop doing that before someone get palytoxin poisoning or something from it. And yes, I did dip and quarantine every frag before I added them to the tank. Thanks for the reply.

New Threads