Hitchhiking I think guppy fry not too sure

Davidh9054

So I went today to pickup 4 more corys to go in my 20 gallon. I get home and start to put the bag to float so they can acclimate I notice I tiny little fish that looks like a guppy but I’m not sure what it it really. I put him in the tank as well but I’m afraid my other fish will eat him. As soon as I put him in the harlequin rasboras I have instantly went after it. Luckily it got away and went to the bottom of the tank under some plants. Not sure how long he will last honestly, I have the harlequins in there and a dwarf gourami. Luckily the rasboras don’t really go towards the bottom of the tank at all but my gourami sure does, so I don’t know if it’ll try and go after the fry. The pleco and corys don’t seem to be interested in him at all. What should I feed it? I usually feed omega one pellets and flake, bug bites and shrimp pellets for the corys and pleco. Every other day or say I feed them frozen baby brine shrimp as well as frozen blood worms. Is it still too small to eat any of that pr should it be ok with what I feed?

Attachments

• 098576EA-DEBA-44A9-BD61-E212990CFBFF.jpeg
    098576EA-DEBA-44A9-BD61-E212990CFBFF.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 9B8BBD5F-6C83-4AFD-BA53-47EB0DDF0F1D.jpeg
    9B8BBD5F-6C83-4AFD-BA53-47EB0DDF0F1D.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 39
  • CC6305C2-5291-4AF7-8583-BCCE2F7D8768.jpeg
    CC6305C2-5291-4AF7-8583-BCCE2F7D8768.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 08CE7E09-312E-4906-9D6D-663D2884D06F.jpeg
    08CE7E09-312E-4906-9D6D-663D2884D06F.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 38

LowConductivity

Ha! I ended up with a colony of panda guppies this way. BBS is great, it'll eat it

MyFishAddiction

It looks like some kind of livebearer, don't worry they are born knowing how to survive and avoid predators, it will eat whatever it can fit in it's mouth. BBS is good, it might eat the omega one stuff and bug bites. It should survive alright, but more cover might be good.

Davidh9054

It looks like some kind of livebearer, don't worry they are born knowing how to survive and avoid predators, it will eat whatever it can fit in it's mouth. BBS is good, it might eat the omega one stuff and bug bites. It should survive alright, but more cover might be good.
I looked in the tank again a few minutes ago and I thought one of the other fish had gotten to him but then I found him hiding in between some driftwood and a rock with Java moss on it.

Yeoy

Looks a bit more like a molly than a guppy to me at that size, but hard to tell. Definitely a livebearer of some sort. Lucky you've only got one, it's the only way to stop them reproducing!

Mcasella

Red wag, either platy or swordtail. Though it is honestly a hybrid of the two species rather than just one, only difference will be the swordtail (if male) will have a lowered sword and be much larger full size than a platy (platies generally run between 2-3" full size, while swords can get 4-6" full size). They generally aren't picky and take any food offered and as long as there is cover or no one to go after it it will survive just fine without special care.

NearMeBettas

If you want a 100% survival rate, you'll want to separate it.

Davidh9054

If you want a 100% survival rate, you'll want to separate it.
I would love to try and get it to grow out but I have no where else to put it. I have a another 10 gallon but it has 10 neon tetras in there and a little less cover. I don’t see the fry much but it is still going. I just looked into the tank now and got a glimpse of it.
Red wag, either platy or swordtail. Though it is honestly a hybrid of the two species rather than just one, only difference will be the swordtail (if male) will have a lowered sword and be much larger full size than a platy (platies generally run between 2-3" full size, while swords can get 4-6" full size). They generally aren't picky and take any food offered and as long as there is cover or no one to go after it it will survive just fine without special care.
I saw it picking at some food floating around the same day I put it in the tank.
Looks a bit more like a molly than a guppy to me at that size, but hard to tell. Definitely a livebearer of some sort. Lucky you've only got one, it's the only way to stop them reproducing!
Yes thank god it was only one. I never wanted any live bearers for fear of getting overrun with fry especially with such a small tank.

Attachments

• 4AD95A52-149E-4514-8850-1297F2C81F9A.jpeg
    4AD95A52-149E-4514-8850-1297F2C81F9A.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 19

Davidh9054

Little guy is still there and doing great it seems. I don’t know if it’s me but looks a little bigger too. And is becoming a little braver I’ve seen it out all day today. Usually it is hiding all day.

Attachments

• 67021353-99C3-42B1-832B-5998C7B154F9.jpeg
    67021353-99C3-42B1-832B-5998C7B154F9.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 63826590-60FE-4236-BA59-EC35FE427E8C.jpeg
    63826590-60FE-4236-BA59-EC35FE427E8C.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 15

Flyfisha

Clearly the lesson for all of use in future is to take a torch/ flashlight when buying fish and to give the the bag and fish a really good once over to avoid this kind of thing as well as ich etc. Duckweed is something that also gets moved around from careless people not looking at bags.
Sorry I have no sympathy for your situation as it was a fry not an almost invisible egg. We all need to be more careful.

In this case I believe the shop manager should take on the responsibility for dealing with this fry. It is not up to you to cull it or change your stocking and water parameters for a live bearer school.

The store manager should at least be informed of this debacle.

Davidh9054

Clearly the lesson for all of use in future is to take a torch/ flashlight when buying fish and to give the the bag and fish a really good once over to avoid this kind of thing as well as ich etc. Duckweed is something that also gets moved around from careless people not looking at bags.
Sorry I have no sympathy for your situation as it was a fry not an almost invisible egg. We all need to be more careful.

In this case I believe the shop manager should take on the responsibility for dealing with this fry. It is not up to you to cull it or change your stocking and water parameters for a live bearer school.

The store manager should at least be informed of this debacle.
I really don’t mind if it. Yes I wasn’t expecting it and kind of threw me off because I didn’t know what to do. But even though I know live bearers spawn very easily it makes me kind of feel ok knowing that in the store any fish is spawning meaning they are being cared for great. Have no complaints about the store all their fish always look great and have never had a problem before.

AP1

Just a note to say you aren't alone in the unexpected livebearer club at the moment--a small endler fry accompanied a purchase of neocaridina shrimp I just made. Difference between us is that this was the first livestock purchase for my tank, so it's just her/him, the shrimp, and a growing number of ramshorn snails in a 29 gallon. I'm feeding BBS as well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
  • Question
50 Gallon Tank Corys and clown loaches?
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
  • Question
Replies
Views