Hitchhiking Fry!

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have Zebra Danio fry in my 1st tank. I am preparing my 2nd tank for Otos & a betta (I have 1 Oto in quarantine there now). I did some re-arranging of my plants, and split my Amazon Sword to put in tank #2. I also had been medicating my Oto--I lost 4 of his buddies right from the fish store last week--in tank 2, so I also put my extra filter that I had been seeding in tank 1 into tank 2. I just noticed about 10 or so fry "surfing" along in the current made my my filter/airstone near the top of the tank!!! They must have hitchhiked on either the plant or the spare filter! SOOOOO, I decided just to keep them there for the next few weeks until I get more Otos & add my betta. They are having a good old time, since the fry in tank 1 remain in the rocks due to the psycho adults zipping around everywhere! My question is: do I need to feed them anything special yet, or will they get fed by the microscopic particles in the rocks? They are barely visible and some of the bubbles made by the airstone are bigger than they are!

Thanks!
Sharon

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You will probably need to get a culture of infusoria to feed the frys.

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try making some tomorrow! I also have a TON of little, tiny THINGS on my plant leaf and now the wall of my tank--they look like they are crawling, then when they away from the leaf/tank wall, they swim jerkily. Does anyone know if they are just-hatched fry or some kind of water flea/lice/bug?? This is the tank that I am TRYING to ready for more otos (I have one) and then a betta, so I really don't need any kind of infestation (other than the fry)!! Thanks!!

Sharon

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just a random guess, but I think they'd be daphnia or cyclops since you said they swim jerkily but it's just a random guess......

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
If they're daphnia, I guess I could just let them hang out for a week or two & let the betta eat them when I get him! Thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom