Hitchhikers on Java Moss

cdw202x

I've taken a look around here, but can't seem to find something similar, so I thought I would post and see if I could get feedback.

A couple days ago, I went to a non-chain LFS and purchased some java moss. I knew to quarantine it first, so I did for a couple days.

With the java moss, I found a few hitchhikers. My biggest concern are the worms (I found four), which are black and about 4 mm each ( or about 1/8 inch). What are these? These black worms still moved around out of water, on the towel I was doing my sorting on. (worms are in the middle in both pictures)

I also found snail shells (I don't know if there are snails in them); some tube-y things with slight green things coming out each end; lots of plants I am assuming are a form of duckweed; and some light green stringy plants.

Would anyone be so kind to help me out with what these are and do I need to be worried? I removed all I could find from the java moss.

Attachments

• IMG_20200501_190910483.jpg
    IMG_20200501_190910483.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20200501_191106723.jpg
    IMG_20200501_191106723.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 76

it is black beatle eggs u should thourly wash the java moss in look warm water

wishuponafish

I've taken a look around here, but can't seem to find something similar, so I thought I would post and see if I could get feedback.

A couple days ago, I went to a non-chain LFS and purchased some java moss. I knew to quarantine it first, so I did for a couple days.

With the java moss, I found a few hitchhikers. My biggest concern are the worms (I found four), which are black and about 4 mm each ( or about 1/8 inch). What are these? These black worms still moved around out of water, on the towel I was doing my sorting on. (worms are in the middle in both pictures)

I also found snail shells (I don't know if there are snails in them); some tube-y things with slight green things coming out each end; lots of plants I am assuming are a form of duckweed; and some light green stringy plants.

Would anyone be so kind to help me out with what these are and do I need to be worried? I removed all I could find from the java moss.
Those snails might be baby pagoda snails, which are quite rare in the hobby.

cdw202x

Those snails might be baby pagoda snails, which are quite rare in the hobby.
Oh?! FWIW, the largest of the five shells measured 10 mm (1 cm) and the smallest 5 mm. I think they are all dead, though. :| I had never even heard of this snail until your post! Thanks!

cdw202x

it is black beatle eggs u should thourly wash the java moss in look warm water
Apologies for my ignorance, but what are you saying are black beatle (sp?) eggs? The tubular things with green things at the ends? Or the little worms?

wishuponafish

The tubes look like some type of caddisfly larva shell.

the green things it could be dragon fly lavia

qldmick

open one of those tubes up, does it have some kind of insect/insect larvae in it? i used to get some like that from wild plants.

cdw202x

open one of those tubes up, does it have some kind of insect/insect larvae in it? i used to get some like that from wild plants.

I will if I find any more floating around the java moss. I think I picked them all out, though, and disposed of them yesterday.

qldmick

was thinking caddisfly larvae

cdw202x

Follow up: After sitting in spring water for a three days and an alum solution for five hours, I found a couple more worm friends. Take a look at the 9:00 position of the white flash mark in the middle and also a (much harder to find) smaller one at the 3:00 position.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Shrimpnoob97
Replies
Views
belarskio
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Java Moss is being weird
Replies
Views
JLAquatics