Hitchhikers Guide To My Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by JoyToTheFishes, Jul 28, 2015.

1. JoyToTheFishes

JoyToTheFishesValued MemberMember

A few days ago a girl at my local fish store talked me into buying some hornwort.

I took it home and stuck it in my 'cute but useless' hexagon tank that was sitting empty.

Today I noticed what I thought was a couple of bugs swimming around in it. When I looked closer I noticed that the bugs are actually small, surprisingly quick snails.

I tried to get a picture, but it's so small and quick, the pictures are terrible, but I thought this one may help give an idea of what I'm talking about.

Any ideas who this hitchhiker may be?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Looks like a pond snail. Pond snails are pests and can take over your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    JoyToTheFishes

Ooh boo.

Should I just dispose of the whole thing? If so, is there any way to.. destroy the snails, as I wouldn't want to accidentally free an invasive species.

4. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

Just put some lettuce in there and leave it over night. The snails will cover the lettuce and you can remove them in the morning. Keep doing that till they're all gone. Then as long as you don't overfeed the few that are left won't breed

5. OP
    OP
    JoyToTheFishes

What do you do with them once you take them out?

Does this mean that my LFS isn't very good, if the plants have snails?

6. Gena

GenaWell Known MemberMember

Crush them with your fingers and throw them away. Their shells are fragile so it is easy.

7. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

You could kill them and throw them away. Nah. Pretty much all lfs have pest snails That's just a risk of planted tanks

8. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfishWell Known MemberMember

Pond snails wont hurt plants, if they get to much food they might take over your tank, but other then that they are cute little tank cleaners that wont harm a thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice