Hitchhiker Yoyo

1. stargazerwolf Member Member

So I bought a nice cool looking piece of driftwood from Petco today. I go and open the bag and start draining the water. Suddenly a fish pops out and lands on my counter next to the sink. First reaction was to grab him, but his barbel got me so I had to rush around for my net. Got him in the net and plopped him in my daughters guppy tank. I didn't have any water left in the bag so he had no acclimation...Poor guy was so stressed out!

So it took a bit to realize what he was, looked it up and sure enough a yoyo loach. Sadly I can't keep him because I only have 2- 10 gallon tanks with shrimp and my daughter's 5.5 gallon with guppies. I couldn't take him back tonight and have decided to maybe keep him a bit and let him eat some snails. I am going to see if a different fish store will make a trade for a plant or something. He's about 3" is all right now. Wish I had a tank for him :/

I just wanted to share my crazy story. I couldn't believe that guy hid in the driftwood for the time I was standing around talking with a friend who works there, I even looked around the bag for snails (I am cool with hitchhiker snails) and never saw him. This piece of wood has almost a tunnel in it so makes sense now. That wood is in my shrimp tank though, not with him now. Unfortunately til I get him traded he is stuck in the 5.5. Will gravel harm him?

2. Tonia Well Known Member Member

That is a Very exciting piece of driftwood. As long as the tank is filtered, heated and kept clean, I would think he will be fine until you can get to a store to trade him. While he's with the guppies, you can feed him some sinking pellets to help make sure he gets plenty to eat.

Best of luck with your trade.

3. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

It does not surprise me that the YoYo hitchhiked into your home☺ Unfortunately I lost one that way - he was well hidden in a holy rock I took out of the tank to clean. I didn't realize until it was too late. Now I am extra careful as I have 2 YoYo now & 5 clown loaches & they can get into the tiniest places.

It is a shame you cannot keep him as they are a fun fish to watch but you are correct not to keep him - minimum size tank is a 20. He should be OK temporarily - they prefer sand or smooth substrate.

I wish I could come get him☺ I want several more☺

4. stargazerwolf Member Member

I am going to be getting a couple dollars store credit for him at a lfs. Guess what though? Now today I look in my shrimp tank where the driftwood went and find a dead Bamboo Shrimp! Couldn't believe it...a second hitchhiker that I could have kept! I'm sad he died but I had no idea he was there so he would have been plopped in with the wood, no acclimation. The Yoyo loach is doing well in my daughter's tank, taken care of a good number of snails lol. Hoping Monday to take him to the lfs ;)

5. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

I would love to take him off your hands, I could always use another puppy, err Yoyo.

6. stargazerwolf Member Member

If you were close by then sure lol, I don't want to try to ship him though. He has been interesting to watch. He swims all over. There's a part of me considering getting a new 20 long or something like that (since mine shattered when I moved :( boo) but I just don't know where I'd put it in my apartment and I really shouldn't be spending more on tanks and such right now...

7. renthus Well Known Member Member

Do it. Join the dark side. Just give in to the urges. Accept your fate, young padawan. There is no turning back now. Do you really want to send that poor little fishy back to that cramped, sad little LFS? Just look at that little face and those little barbels.

Accept it.

It's a sign.

You cannot refuse your fate.

(I'm having way too much fun with this)