Hitch hikers ...

1. LJC6780

LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

So I have 2 Nerites in my 38 gal and they are always hiding in the tiki hut. Just a while ago I spotted 2 tiny snails touring the tank. Can you tell anything by these photos as to what kind they may be? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Ihaveacactus

Ihaveacactus Valued Member Member

I believe those are a type of pond snail. Very cool, but they breed prolifically! So if you don't want them you should probably take them out.

I had some in my 10 gallon at one point and they were really hard to remove. They're very neat if you do decide to keep them though!

3. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Do they survive outside or do they need to be in water?

Do they hurt anything being in the tank? I don't mind them for now but I don't want 100!

4. f

frogmel New Member Member

They won't hurt anything, they're helpful scavengers but pretty ugly in a show tank when it's a massive blob. If you get a lot maybe ask your lfs store guy if you can borrow one of their puffers. I asked mine and took a Fig. 8 pufferfish home and it took out the population pretty well in about a week before i returned it.

5. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Oh wow! Never thought of borrowing a fish! Lol I may just rehome them before they become a problem. I'm reading posts about pest snails and really don't want to have to do major clean up. We have a baby pool of water I fill with old tank water to water my plants from (the fish waste water does well on the plants!) so maybe I'll rehome them there and if something outside wants to snack on them that would be ok too ...

6. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I would not "borrow" a fish just to take care of your snail problem, especially not a puffer as they will get aggressive towards other fish.

You could always make a snail trap by leaving a veggie in the tank overnight. You should see some on there the next day and then you can toss them in the trash. You may not completely get rid of them but you can manage the population pretty well with this method.

7. Ihaveacactus

Ihaveacactus Valued Member Member

When I decided to purge my tank of them after they took over, I kept them in a jar of water and fed them plant debris from my weekly tank maintenance. I was pulling/squishing 30+ snails and egg sacks a day for two months till they were all gone (but I was successful in the end).

However, like el337 said, I wouldn't recommend getting a fish just to take care of the snails. It might work for some people but that's kind of like impulse buying a christmas puppy. Better to just pull the snails out now and just stick to nerites if you don't want breeding.

8. c

cheese Valued Member Member

if you only have a few, I'd remove them. you can put them in a cup of water or something like this if you don't want to kill them. I only had to pluck 3 snails out of my main tanks, I put them in a container with water and some food and the population exploded. however, after removing the 3 snails from my main tanks, I noticed 1 snail left, in 2 of my tanks. I left them, and do not over feed my fish, and there has been just 1 in each tank since. it really depends on the tank and fish in it though, too. if I didn't have an almost bare tank with goldfish in it, I'd probably see more snails. but my goldfish are pigs and eat all food they can find, probably including snail eggs and baby snails. the 1 in there is probably just lucky lol. :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

I think I'll pull them next time I see them. Maybe I'll keep them in a jar with skimmed waste and an occasional veggie. I really hate killing them just to kill them. I could relocate them later if necessary. There is a small lake nearby that they may enjoy.

10. vivelafish

vivelafish Valued Member Member

I agree to remove them... I was like you and thought, "oh one or two may not be that bad..." but eventually they took over my entire tank and it was so frustrating trying to get rid of them.If there's just a few now, I'd definitely try to pick them out while you can. They ate a bunch of my live plants :(

11. l

littleredridingmech Valued Member Member

Please please don't put them in the lake. Introducing non-native species wreaks havoc on an ecosystem, and introducing something that's such a voracious plant-eater and prolific breeder can be disastrous.

12. vivelafish

vivelafish Valued Member Member

This is a good point, actually. If you feel bad about killing them, you could try calling up your LFS and see if they'll take some of the pond snails as food for their other fish. That way, they're going for a good cause. They'll outgrow any of your small tanks eventually... I tried, but they multiply so quickly!

13. rainman

rainman Well Known Member Member

I crush and feed them to my other scavenger inverts in the tank. Shrimp love them, just saying.

14. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Ah ... ok. That's a no go then.

15. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Just not sure I could crush them!

16. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Do not put them in a lake - I repeat, do not put ANY fish/snails etc in a lake. That can cause upset to the eco system and can cause other problems. Take them to the lfs or put them in the trash but do not flush them.

Here is a trap I have made and I used to put in veggies, etc . When it was full I would throw out the entire bottle.

snail trap.jpg

17. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Yes, yes, I know better. My plan will be to take them to the local fish folks and see If they will use them for feed.

Thoughts ... they come from somewhere ... everyone says pond snails. Can I safely add them into a pond?

18. c

cheese Valued Member Member

you should be able to add them to a pond, I had the same question on here a while ago. I was told that, since a pond is an enclosed body of water, and the snails won't leave, it should be fine. if you were going to add goldfish to a pond, they would have come from a pet shop too...it's the same as adding a store bought fish to a pond imo. :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

19. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Ok ... if the pet store won't take them I'll see if my dad will add them to one of his fishing ponds out on some property ...

The lake I was thinking of is a small neighborhood lake that feeds from runoff ... but I'll stick to the pond or the pet store.