Hit with MTS again.... Wanting to start cichlid tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystalm04

Valued Member
Reaction score
North Carolina, Outer banks. Island living in the
Experience
Just started
Yes ill be here to help, they do love destroying plants is one of there favorite pass times lol.
Found one on craigslist. 75 gallon with stand. not far from me its 5 years old and they are asking 250 obo. I'm probably going to ride out and check it out tomorrow. They said it still has water in it cause they just upgraded and are moving fish to another tank. hopefully it doesn't leak but if it did I guess its not that difficult to reseal it is it?

Plecomaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I et you could get it for less, i bought my 90g for under 200.
though alot of cleaning was necessary.

Plecomaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes it came with a black cabinetstand and some broken decorations, lol.
it came to around 170 total.

but it was totally disgustingly dirty, like days of soaking and scrubingthe tank and stand....
it also came with a strip light.

McFly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the tank has water in it, ask to have them drain a few inches of water and let the glass dry. Older tanks are prone to etched glass, and it's harder to see with a full tank. If the glass is foggy when dry, and it can't be cleaned off, walk away.

75 is a nice tank for cichlids. I had a thriving 55 gallon mbuna tank for a few years. Nice looking active fish... give plenty of caves, they'll do well.

Good Luck!

crystalm04

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If the tank has water in it, ask to have them drain a few inches of water and let the glass dry. Older tanks are prone to etched glass, and it's harder to see with a full tank. If the glass is foggy when dry, and it can't be cleaned off, walk away.

75 is a nice tank for cichlids. I had a thriving 55 gallon mbuna tank for a few years. Nice looking active fish... give plenty of caves, they'll do well.

Good Luck!
Thanks for that pointer I would not of thought of that.

Plecomaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Itsa hardcall. If its full at least you know it holds water.
my advice is not to trust your eyes. Use your hand and run it across. The glass.
It's more likely to be sensitive to scratches.

any machinery they try to throw in should be plugged in to test it for functionality.

crystalm04

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Itsa hardcall. If its full at least you know it holds water.
my advice is not to trust your eyes. Use your hand and run it across. The glass.
It's more likely to be sensitive to scratches.

any machinery they try to throw in should be plugged in to test it for functionality.
its halfway full of water. The owner said they would leave it that way so I can see it doesn't leak. either way I'm planning on touching it up with some sealant if I decide to purchase it. As far as the equipment Ill check that out too but I more thank likely will buy all new stuff to get it how I want it.

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I find it suspicious that they wouldn't leave it full or <3" from the top.

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
either way I'm planning on touching it up with some sealant if I decide to purchase it.
If you do that, you have to remove the existing sealant and redo it. You can't just silicone over whats there, it wont form a good bond and will likely not last long (the new seal).

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd ask the seller to keep the tank about 2-3" from the top, to determine if there are leaks or not before purchase.

crystalm04

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd ask the seller to keep the tank about 2-3" from the top, to determine if there are leaks or not before purchase.
He told me it was full so I can check for leaks but the pic only shows half full so maybe he will fill it up for me. Well, ill just have to wait until I get there.

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would have him fill the tank a day or two before you go there. Sometimes a leak can take a day or two to show up.

crystalm04

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would have him fill the tank a day or two before you go there. Sometimes a leak can take a day or two to show up.
I think I'm going to pass on this one and wait to see what else comes up. I do have an iffy feeling about this one as well. I have plenty of time. If nothing else I will just buy a new aquarium and have my husband build me a stand and slowly put it together from there.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think I'm going to pass on this one and wait to see what else comes up. I do have an iffy feeling about this one as well. I have plenty of time. If nothing else I will just buy a new aquarium and have my husband build me a stand and slowly put it together from there.
I like doing that better buying a good tank then finding cheap but good supplies to get it in working condition.

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got my current 55g with 2 hoods (not the best), light (not the best for planted tanks), and stand (very sturdy) for $70 on craigslist. There are deals out there if you keep your eyes open. I have even seen tanks in the free section that people are moving and just need it gone.

crystalm04

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like doing that better buying a good tank then finding cheap but good supplies to get it in working condition.
I did see one for sale at pestmart. 60 gallon with stand and hood for 250. hmmmm. lol. it does have the same width as the 75 just taller. its 48.5" width 12.75 " L and I think 27" H. Good thing is its brand new so I wouldn't have to worry about leaks unless it was defected.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I did see one for sale at pestmart. 60 gallon with stand and hood for 250. hmmmm. lol. it does have the same width as the 75 just taller. its 48.5" width 12.75 " L and I think 27" H. Good thing is its brand new so I wouldn't have to worry about leaks unless it was defected.
I dont like the dimension of the 60G there no benefit of the extra height. I will look around for petstore having sales on 75g,a local store was selling 75 g alone for $99 or petsmart was selling 75 with lids and a light for $200

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I personally would prefer the depth that you get with the 75 (18 inches i think?) to the height you get with the 60 (27 inches). More benefit in depth than in height.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 30 65.2%

Top Bottom