Hit with MTS again.... Wanting to start cichlid tank.

  • Thread starter

crystalm04

Valued Member
Messages
271
Reaction score
1
Points
53
Experience
Just started
ok guys I've been hit with MTS again. Have a few questions. I'm looking to set up an aquarium for Cichlids. I'd like to do a 75 gallon but I've posted on my local web page here at home to see if anyone has any used ones for sale. Had one hit already for a 55 gallon. Would a 55 gallon be ok for cichlids?
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,052
Reaction score
9,022
Points
608
Experience
2 years
Depends on the type of cichlids you're wanting. If you don't have a specific kind in mind, there are cichlids that would de well in a 55 gal. LeoDiaz
 

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Messages
2,401
Reaction score
18
Points
83
Experience
4 years
55 gallons should be alright for mbunas, as long as you are selective about your stock and don't introduce anything that may grow too large or have a lot of aggression issues.
 

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,004
Reaction score
126
Points
308
Experience
5 to 10 years
55 is good for cichlid but if you can get a 75 is way better because it will give you more options of fish you can get in a 55 your more limited.
 
  • Thread starter

crystalm04

Valued Member
Messages
271
Reaction score
1
Points
53
Experience
Just started
Its a 55 gallon bowfront glass with stand, heater , pump rock decorations. strip with daytime led lights and nighttime black lights. was set up with cichlids before. man was asking 250 or best offer. less than a year old. going to wait til people get off work and see what other hits I get and yes id rather a 75 but...... lol. MTS is hitting!! lol.
 

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Messages
2,401
Reaction score
18
Points
83
Experience
4 years
What are the dimensions of the tank? The only bowfront that is close to 55 that I know of is a 46 bowfront. A 46 bowfront would be getting pretty small for cichlids at only 3' long.
 

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,004
Reaction score
126
Points
308
Experience
5 to 10 years
crystalm04 said:
Its a 55 gallon bowfront glass with stand, heater , pump rock decorations. strip with daytime led lights and nighttime black lights. was set up with cichlids before. man was asking 250 or best offer. less than a year old. going to wait til people get off work and see what other hits I get and yes id rather a 75 but...... lol. MTS is hitting!! lol.
I havent heard of a 55 bowfront? Dimensions? IMO the heater and filter i would take ill rather buy new and make sure the work like they should. Mts can be get anyone lol. I don't get mts i just want keep upgrading tank size. Right now I'm working on upgrading to a 125 gallon.
 
  • Thread starter

crystalm04

Valued Member
Messages
271
Reaction score
1
Points
53
Experience
Just started
LiterallyHydro said:
What are the dimensions of the tank? The only bowfront that is close to 55 that I know of is a 46 bowfront. A 46 bowfront would be getting pretty small for cichlids at only 3' long.
I have to look it up. he bought it a petsmart and hes not near it right now to tell me the dimensions so I'm gna look it up.
 

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,004
Reaction score
126
Points
308
Experience
5 to 10 years
crystalm04 said:
I have to look it up. he bought it a petsmart and hes not near it right now to tell me the dimensions so I'm gna look it up.
Yea i never heard of a 55 bowfront do you have pics of the tank? Is proably a 46 gallon like hydro said.
 
  • Thread starter

crystalm04

Valued Member
Messages
271
Reaction score
1
Points
53
Experience
Just started
LeoDiaz said:
Yea i never heard of a 55 bowfront do you have pics of the tank? Is proably a 46 gallon like hydro said.
I just looked it up and all I saw that was identical to the one he sent me pic of was a 46 gallon, I didn't see a 55 like it. Oh well Ill keep looking.
 

BDpups

Well Known Member
Messages
2,532
Reaction score
10
Points
73
Experience
More than 10 years
There are lots of cichlids that will work in a bow front. They don't have to be Africans either. But Africans will work.

Do you want American cichlids or Africans?


 

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,004
Reaction score
126
Points
308
Experience
5 to 10 years
BDpups said:
There are lots of cichlids that will work in a bow front. They don't have to be Africans either. But Africans will work.

Do you want American cichlids or Africans?
that's true but if she wanted a 75 why should she settle for a 46 gallon. Go big or go home.
 
  • Thread starter

crystalm04

Valued Member
Messages
271
Reaction score
1
Points
53
Experience
Just started
BDpups said:
There are lots of cichlids that will work in a bow front. They don't have to be Africans either. But Africans will work.

Do you want American cichlids or Africans?
From what ive looked at so far on line I really like the Africans. It would be my first cichlid tank and I plan on getting started and planted slowly before I introduce fish to it... money a little tight right now so I have time to decide and learn more about cichlids first.
 

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,004
Reaction score
126
Points
308
Experience
5 to 10 years
crystalm04 said:
From what ive looked at so far on line I really like the Africans. It would be my first cichlid tank and I plan on getting started and planted slowly before I introduce fish to it... money a little tight right now so I have time to decide and learn more about cichlids first.
Planted? Plants anf africans isnt usually good mix. Only plants that survive if there lucky are anubias or java fern
 
  • Thread starter

crystalm04

Valued Member
Messages
271
Reaction score
1
Points
53
Experience
Just started
LeoDiaz said:
that's true but if she wanted a 75 why should she settle for a 46 gallon. Go big or go home.
Hahaha....... I really am on the hunt for a 75 indeed.....

LeoDiaz said:
Planted? Plants anf africans isnt usually good mix. Only plants that survive if there lucky are anubias or java fern
well you see I didn't know that.. that's why I have you all on this forum. to guide and advise me.
 

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,004
Reaction score
126
Points
308
Experience
5 to 10 years
crystalm04 said:
Hahaha....... I really am on the hunt for a 75 indeed.....
75 will let get the little bigger african cichlids, also you can more fish in 75 then a 55 so that's a bonus. What kinda of africans do you want? There peacocks, mbunas, malawi haps, victorian haps etc?
 
  • Thread starter

crystalm04

Valued Member
Messages
271
Reaction score
1
Points
53
Experience
Just started
LeoDiaz said:
75 will let get the little bigger african cichlids, also you can more fish in 75 then a 55 so that's a bonus. What kinda of africans do you want? There peacocks, mbunas, malawi haps, victorian haps etc?
the Mbunas look really pretty. Victorian haps I'm assuming you mean from lake Victoria? those are pretty nice too. LOL. hmmm. not so sure yet but I believe the ones ive seen at my lfs were mbunas and I really like them.
 

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,004
Reaction score
126
Points
308
Experience
5 to 10 years
crystalm04 said:
the Mbunas look really pretty. Victorian haps I'm assuming you mean from lake Victoria? those are pretty nice too. LOL. hmmm. not so sure yet but I believe the ones ive seen at my lfs were mbunas and I really like them.
Mbunas are my favorite to because in most species the male and female look amazing while with peacocks and haps only the male looks good. For a mbuna tank you will really benefit by having a 75.
 
  • Thread starter

crystalm04

Valued Member
Messages
271
Reaction score
1
Points
53
Experience
Just started
LeoDiaz said:
Mbunas are my favorite to because in most species the male and female look amazing while with peacocks and haps only the male looks good. For a mbuna tank you will really benefit by having a 75.
From what ive just read on them they do suggest a 75 gallon so that you can get more of them to help with the aggression. I did just read up on them destroying plants too like you mentioned earlier. still on the hunt here but when I finally get one I know Ill get lots of help on here to help me set it up.
 

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,004
Reaction score
126
Points
308
Experience
5 to 10 years
crystalm04 said:
From what ive just read on them they do suggest a 75 gallon so that you can get more of them to help with the aggression. I did just read up on them destroying plants too like you mentioned earlier. still on the hunt here but when I finally get one I know Ill get lots of help on here to help me set it up.
Yes ill be here to help, they do love destroying plants is one of there favorite pass times lol.
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom