Hit with MTS again.... Wanting to start cichlid tank.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by crystalm04, Aug 4, 2015.

1. crystalm04

crystalm04 Valued Member Member

ok guys I've been hit with MTS again. Have a few questions. I'm looking to set up an aquarium for Cichlids. I'd like to do a 75 gallon but I've posted on my local web page here at home to see if anyone has any used ones for sale. Had one hit already for a 55 gallon. Would a 55 gallon be ok for cichlids?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Depends on the type of cichlids you're wanting. If you don't have a specific kind in mind, there are cichlids that would de well in a 55 gal. LeoDiaz

3. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

55 gallons should be alright for mbunas, as long as you are selective about your stock and don't introduce anything that may grow too large or have a lot of aggression issues.

4. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

55 is good for cichlid but if you can get a 75 is way better because it will give you more options of fish you can get in a 55 your more limited.

5. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Its a 55 gallon bowfront glass with stand, heater , pump rock decorations. strip with daytime led lights and nighttime black lights. was set up with cichlids before. man was asking 250 or best offer. less than a year old. going to wait til people get off work and see what other hits I get and yes id rather a 75 but...... lol. MTS is hitting!! lol.

6. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

What are the dimensions of the tank? The only bowfront that is close to 55 that I know of is a 46 bowfront. A 46 bowfront would be getting pretty small for cichlids at only 3' long.

7. LeoDiaz

I havent heard of a 55 bowfront? Dimensions? IMO the heater and filter i would take ill rather buy new and make sure the work like they should. Mts can be get anyone lol. I dont get mts i just want keep upgrading tank size. Right now im working on upgrading to a 125gal.

8. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

I have to look it up. he bought it a petsmart and hes not near it right now to tell me the dimensions so im gna look it up.

9. LeoDiaz

Yea i never heard of a 55 bowfront do you have pics of the tank? Is proably a 46g like hydro said.

10. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

I just looked it up and all I saw that was identical to the one he sent me pic of was a 46 gallon, I didn't see a 55 like it. Oh well Ill keep looking.

11. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

There are lots of cichlids that will work in a bow front. They don't have to be Africans either. But Africans will work.

Do you want American cichlids or Africans?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

12. LeoDiaz

Thats true but if she wanted a 75 why should she settle for a 46g. Go big or go home.

13. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

From what ive looked at so far on line I really like the Africans. It would be my first cichlid tank and I plan on getting started and planted slowly before I introduce fish to it... money a little tight right now so I have time to decide and learn more about cichlids first.

14. LeoDiaz

Planted? Plants anf africans isnt usually good mix. Only plants that survive if there lucky are anubias or java fern

15. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Hahaha....... I really am on the hunt for a 75 indeed.....

well you see I didn't know that.. that's why I have you all on this forum. to guide and advise me. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  16. LeoDiaz

75 will let get the little bigger african cichlids, also you can more fish in 75 then a 55 so thats a bonus. What kinda of africans do you want? There peacocks, mbunas, malawi haps, victorian haps etc?

17. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

the Mbunas look really pretty. Victorian haps im assuming you mean from lake Victoria? those are pretty nice too. LOL. hmmm. not so sure yet but I believe the ones ive seen at my lfs were mbunas and I really like them.

18. LeoDiaz

Mbunas are my favorite to because in most species the male and female look amazing while with peacocks and haps only the male looks good. For a mbuna tank you will really benefit by having a 75.

19. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

From what ive just read on them they do suggest a 75 gallon so that you can get more of them to help with the aggression. I did just read up on them destroying plants too like you mentioned earlier. still on the hunt here but when I finally get one I know Ill get lots of help on here to help me set it up.

20. LeoDiaz

Yes ill be here to help, they do love destroying plants is one of there favorite pass times lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice