His And Her Fluval Flex 15 Aquariums

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Onewolf, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Onewolf

OnewolfNew MemberMember

Background: I have had small reef, African Cichlid, Discus, and Goldfish aquariums 15+ years ago before I met/married my wife. She has never had an aquarium before so this is all new to her.

Last year we got rid of the couch/loveseat/chair in our 'sitting' room that had been used only as a cat Napatorium for the last 14 years. We had planned to eventually put a nice back/front bar and stools in the sitting room instead.

I recently floated a proposal that instead of putting in a back bar along the wall we put in a 6-8 foot wide aquarium and then front bar/stools. My proposal was accepted enthusiastically (we're both scuba divers) however I wanted my wife to learn the ins/outs of life with aquariums before diving in to "the deep end". So over time we are going to make a progression from small 15 gallon Fluval Flex aquariums, to a 65/72/90 Discus/Angel tank before we make the jump the 170-250 gallon acrylic 'backbar' tank.

Her Flex 15 will be a planted community tank with Gourami/Tetras and mine will be a (very) planted community tank. I haven't decided whether to go South American soft water style or Guppy not-so-soft water. Our tap water is very hard so I plan to install an RO system to produce aquarium water.

I ordered the GreenPro 'assortment' of plants (Amazon Sword, Java Fern, Anacharis, Ludwigia) from Amazon and I was quite surprised at the very large size of the plants when they were delivered. I went with Carib Sea Eco Complete Black substrate and my wife with the same substrate in Red.

My wife is cycling her aquarium with a dwarf Gourami and I'm going fish-less for now. She calls him "Don" and I call him "Howie" because my wife keeps saying he looks hungry. :)

I have added a second 6500 LED bar to my tank and I'm adding API liquid CO2 and API Leaf Zone for the plants. Once we get the larger 65/72 tank setup I will probably transplant some/most of these plants into it.

Attached Files:

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

3. Reef Ventures

Reef VenturesValued MemberMember

Goals! Nice

4. California L33

California L33Well Known MemberMember

Nice! I particularly like the part about the 'intermediary' 90 so that when it's over you've got a 90 and a 250. Gentlemen, hats off to a genius. :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  5. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Creative use of ideas, and space!
    I wouldn't have thought of that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice