Hippy Laying Sideways At Bottom Of Tank

sandrafizzle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok so I just noticed one of my 5 guppies weren’t swimming around. Then I peep him on the gravel breathing and struggling to swim. Poor lil dude Wtffff is going on?
- nitrates 40 nitrites 0 pH 7.5 KH 80 GH 240, fed once a day for 6 days, one ghost shrimp, 10 gallon half moon tank, water change 2 weeks ago, has filter, lighting, water heater

Pic included. My shrimp has been following him around ...

Attachments

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
sandrafizzle said:
Ok so I just noticed one of my 5 guppies weren’t swimming around. Then I peep him on the gravel breathing and struggling to swim. Poor lil dude Wtffff is going on?
- nitrates 40 nitrites 0 pH 7.5 KH 80 GH 240, fed once a day for 6 days, one ghost shrimp, 10 gallon half moon tank, water change 2 weeks ago, has filter, lighting, water heater

Pic included. My shrimp has been following him around ...
oh no, he doesn't look good

what are your ammonia and nitrite levels?

your nitrate is a bit high, probably because you last did a change 2 weeks ago. perhaps try a 10-15% change (be sure to condition the new water)?

sandrafizzle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jenoli42 said:
oh no, he doesn't look good

what are your ammonia and nitrite levels?

your nitrate is a bit high, probably because you last did a change 2 weeks ago. perhaps try a 10-15% change (be sure to condition the new water)?
I don’t have a tester for ammonia unfortunately so I’m not sure :/ I’m afraid of changing the water & stressing him out more . I don’t think this guppy will make it through the night , he appears to be breathing slower and less often ... unless he’s saving energy .

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
sandrafizzle said:
I don’t have a tester for ammonia unfortunately so I’m not sure :/ I’m afraid of changing the water & stressing him out more . I don’t think this guppy will make it through the night , he appears to be breathing slower and less often ... unless he’s saving energy .
how long have you had this fish in the tank? do you know if your tank is cycled? if you've only had it a little while and if you don't know if your tank is cycled, then i suspect you've got ammonia spike. in which case you should to a water change and add something that detoxifies ammonia like seachem prime.

if you don't think he'll make it through the night, then the water change stress won't really do anything but possibly help or help him on his way faster, i'm sorry to say

can you test for nitrite? i didn't see that in your list, sorry.

sandrafizzle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jenoli42 said:
how long have you had this fish in the tank? do you know if your tank is cycled? if you've only had it a little while and if you don't know if your tank is cycled, then i suspect you've got ammonia spike. in which case you should to a water change and add something that detoxifies ammonia like seachem prime.

if you don't think he'll make it through the night, then the water change stress won't really do anything but possibly help or help him on his way faster, i'm sorry to say

can you test for nitrite? i didn't see that in your list, sorry.
Nitrite is zero

I’ve had all 5 guppies since January 26th or around there. I believe it is still cycling, I had a nitrate & nitrite spike about a month ago and i finally got them both to zero so it's probably starting all over again. how do i know how much ammonia is in the water? i used my last test strip today after i saw the guppy lying sideways. i put half a cap full of seachem prime in the tank right now. i just dont know what to do for this lil guy. he's struggling. i cant even find him now & the ghost shrimp must be waiting.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately, if a fish cannot remain upright, it is usually too far gone to recover.

A 25% water change shouldn't stress the fish too much. I get nervous if it goes over 50%, but if you do have an ammonia spike sometimes it's necessary. I'd try to get an ammonia test if you can. An API Master Test Kit would be best. One tip, if you use test strips, you can cut them in half the long way you can double the number of tests.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
sandrafizzle said:
Nitrite is zero

I’ve had all 5 guppies since January 26th or around there. I believe it is still cycling, I had a nitrate & nitrite spike about a month ago and i finally got them both to zero so it's probably starting all over again. how do i know how much ammonia is in the water? i used my last test strip today after i saw the guppy lying sideways. i put half a cap full of seachem prime in the tank right now. i just dont know what to do for this lil guy. he's struggling. i cant even find him now & the ghost shrimp must be waiting.
There's no way your tank should still be cycling unless something is really wrong. have you changed your filter media to new media recently? if not, then the only things that cause ammonia/nitrite spikes are:

* having too many fish in a tank that's too small
* over feeding
* ammonia in your tap water
* dead critters
* adding too many live things at once
* some plant fertilisers

there's no other way that i know of to test for ammonia other than the strips (which are unreliable ime) or buying the API liquid test kit.

the best way to make sure that's not what's hurting your fish is to do a 15-30% partial water change.

sandrafizzle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
WhoKnows said:
Unfortunately, if a fish cannot remain upright, it is usually too far gone to recover.

A 25% water change shouldn't stress the fish too much. I get nervous if it goes over 50%, but if you do have an ammonia spike sometimes it's necessary. I'd try to get an ammonia test if you can. An API Master Test Kit would be best. One tip, if you use test strips, you can cut them in half the long way you can double the number of tests.
Yes, I will have to buy some more tests & do a water change tomorrow. As far as the fish, what do I do with him? If I let him die then the water will be off again. He is struggling to move.

Jenoli42 said:
There's no way your tank should still be cycling unless something is really wrong. have you changed your filter media to new media recently? if not, then the only things that cause ammonia/nitrite spikes are:

* having too many fish in a tank that's too small
* over feeding
* ammonia in your tap water
* dead critters
* adding too many live things at once
* some plant fertilisers

there's no other way that i know of to test for ammonia other than the strips (which are unreliable ime) or buying the API liquid test kit.

the best way to make sure that's not what's hurting your fish is to do a 15-30% partial water change.
Lol Jenoli, I meant that the cycle was starting over again since a month ago due to the water changes and the cycle being ruined by either me rinsing the filter too long and/or having one dead ghost shrimp two night in a row.
I haven't changed the filter in about a month, so it would be time to do so soon - probably with the water change.
I've got 5 guppies and 1 ghost shrimp in my 10 gallon now & feed either flakes or frozen brine shrimp once a day and skip one day a week

I should also probably mention that the guppy has a brownish-red colored string of poop just hanging out of him.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
sandrafizzle said:
Yes, I will have to buy some more tests & do a water change tomorrow. As far as the fish, what do I do with him? If I let him die then the water will be off again. He is struggling to move.
Well, if you're thinking of ending his misery, check this out.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
sandrafizzle said:
Lol Jenoli, I meant that the cycle was starting over again since a month ago due to the water changes and the cycle being ruined by either me rinsing the filter too long and/or having one dead ghost shrimp two night in a row.
I haven't changed the filter in about a month, so it would be time to do so soon - probably with the water change.
I've got 5 guppies and 1 ghost shrimp in my 10 gallon now & feed either flakes or frozen brine shrimp once a day and skip one day a week
oh, right. you shouldn't change your filter - just rinse the media gently in a bucket of tank water.

sandrafizzle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jenoli42 said:
oh, right. you shouldn't change your filter - just rinse the media gently in a bucket of tank water.
Fish has passed. I just checked on him. Other 4 guppies seem fine!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom