Hippo Tang With White Bloches

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by DavidFishMan, Jul 26, 2019.

1. DavidFishMan

DavidFishManValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    BB078CE9-639E-46BD-B56C-039F5F5C775E. My new hippo tang after three weeks developed white blotches on his body and now is not eating. Attached is a picture of him.

2. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,408
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What size tank is he in and how is your water .
    His tail fin looks to be a bit ragged also ..
    Are you offering nori strips or some type of vegetable ?

3. OP
    OP
    DavidFishMan

Ratings:
    +13
    He’s in a 125 gallon tank. Ammonia and nitrite is zero. Nitrate is 20. Salinity is 1.024. RO water. PH 8.2. I’m trying to get him to eat brine, emerald, and mysis shrimp. Also the paper algae with and without garlic.

4. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,408
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Do you test alkalinity ?
    No other tangs with him ?

5. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +9,566
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Oh no! I sorry to hear it. Blotchy white patches usually mean Brooklynella (a parasite) or bacterial infection. Unfortunately, neither is particularly easy to treat. Don't be mistaken by Brook being a parasite because it does not respond to the average parasite treatment.

I am no pro at this and have only familiarized myself with symptoms so I know what to look out for and hopefully be quick to ID so I may (hopefully) treat quickly and correctly. This does not qualify me for offering treatment advice but I hope that narrowing down the possible issues is of some help to you. Please research Brook and bacterial infections in fish so you may know how to best move forward. With either of these ailments, you'll want to act quickly and I know online information can be contradictory and overwhelming, so my best advice is to look for advice online and written by a reefer who goes by Humblefish.

6. OP
    OP
    DavidFishMan

Ratings:
    +13
    Alkalinity is within normal range.
    I have an Atlanta blue tank and lavender tang. Neither of them both the hippo tang.

7. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,084
    Experience:
    1 year
    I agree with Stella that it looks like Brook which unfortunately is a quick killer and it will spread your other fish as well (although they may be better able to fight it off). This has some good info on how to identify and treat it:

Signs and Symptoms of Brooklynella Disease in Fish