Hillstream Loaches Could This Work? 60 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Rtessy, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

I'm looking at getting four or five hillstream loaches.
    First off, I know this probably won't work, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

First potential problem: my tank is large grain gravel, average of about an inch. It's very smooth and I also have several larger rocks scattered around.
    Second: my goldfish; a common goldfish, severely stunted at 5", no aggression towards shrimp or large snails (at least 1/4"). I do handfeed my goldfish for the most part, so I'd be able to keep him at one end of the tank while feeding loaches at the other.
    Third: Current. Cascade 300 on one side and an aqueon quietflow that does 150 on the other. I'm adding in an overhead sump/planter and I will use a 130gph water pump and have the outtake sending water in the same direction as the Cascade 300. Don't know if this is enough flow
    Fourth: feeding. I would be able to supply algae wafers, shrimp pellets, and live blackworms, but I am unsure if this would suffice.
    Fifth: the tank can get to nearly 78° in the summer and 64° in the winter.
    Sixth: I have some lovely mystery snails and amano shrimp, would the loaches harm these?
    It just bothers me seeing them sold at PetCo....
    Also, if I do get them, the QT would be a 10gallon with 150gph HOB.
    Edit: I also have a tetra whisper 100, I had two bubblers but now I'm down to one 3" airstone. Might get another

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  2. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

How much current do they need? And how would I measure that? Also how much oxygen do they need?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice