Hillstream Loach

1. RyanLewis Member Member

I've been doing some research on hillstream loaches, because I really want an oddball kind of bottom dweller to help with some algae. Along with the algae I have noticed some seed shrimp too. I was wondering if the hillstream loach would be interested in them? I know there is always going to be the person who says "no bottom dweller can do as good of a job as an aquarist" but I would love the idea of having a hillstream loach and, although I keep up with water changes, a somewhat self sustaining aquarium. :)

2. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

A self sustaining hillstream-aquarium?

3. RyanLewis Member Member

I am probably only going to have one hillstream loach, and the tank is decently planted with good filtration. The hillstream loach will not be the only fish in the tank.

4. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

What I meand to say Ryan there are several fish called "hillstream loach" and they aren't called that way for nothing. Most need cool / cold / high oxygenated / steaming water. A commumitytank in most cases doesn't provide that.

5. RyanLewis Member Member

It won't be a tropical community tank, as I know they are on the colder side of things. I plan to keep it at high sixties to low 70s in temperature. The tankmates will be few and cold water capable. :)

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Ok, I'd put in a powerhead !

7. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

As long as you keep the water crystal clear, most of Sewelia will do just fine with as low as 10X turnover rate. They are great fish but like all loaches are social and really require more than one to enjoy them. I had a single in a tank(because I moved the others and couldn't catch him) for a month or so, he never came out when the lights were on. Make sure you have a lot of caves for them to hide in.

8. RyanLewis Member Member

Maybe I'll reconsider and get two then!