Hillstream Loach Gender?

D_C_1

Can anyone tell me if my (Gold Ring) Hillstream Loach is a male or a female?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Loach.jpg
    Loach.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 473

Butterfly

It's really hard to tell the gender of Hillstream Loaches Since them have no outward sexual differences.
It's been suggested that males have a stronger coloration but that's not a dependable way to sex them either.
carol

D_C_1

Yeah, I expected to find out from my research on them but I still couldn't tell the difference although i'm leaning more towards thinking that it is a male. Thanks

Butterfly

Here are several reliable articles on Hillstreams
loaches

And a list of articles

Here is a list of different Hillstream Loaches

These are what I had

Do you have pictures of the other side of your Hillstream?

Carol

D_C_1

Thanks for the links
I don't have any others right now, but I'll try and get one tomorrow and post it.

Butterfly

Welcome.
They are really cool little fish They do much better at cooler temps and with others of their own kind if you have the room.
Carol

D_C_1

These two are the best ones I managed to get of it's other side (poor camera).
I'm hoping to get a second one once I find out it's gender, and when the LFS get them in again!

Attachments

• L3.jpg
    L3.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 301
  • L4.jpg
    L4.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 309

Butterfly

Your tank is approx a 30 gallon with a pretty stocked to over stocked list of fish.
Hillstreams have different tank requirements than most of those fish, most notably heavy water flow and cooler water temperatures(65- 75F).

In order to possibly breed them you would need to have several HS so they can pair up along with being more comfortable being with others of their own kind. Perhaps it would be better to wait until you can dedicate a tank to just them and their needs before buying more.
Carol
Oh yes Welcome to FishLore!

D_C_1

Maybe I'll leave the second one then, would have been nice to try and breed them though. As for the stocking, my LFS said what I have is okay, although some of the baby Panda Cories are going to be given to a friend soon.

EDIT: Thanks for the welcome message

Butterfly

Many times the LFS will tell us what we want ot hear so they can sell more fish Hopefully yours is not that way.

I was basing my thoughts about overstocking because there are 9 fish that inhabit the top to middle regions of the tank. Keep an eye on them for aggression and keep your water changes up.
Carol

D_C_1

True, will do thank you

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chris1212
  • Question
Replies
Views
Madeline Peterson
Replies