Hillstream Loach Eating Fry

Jallen42

Hi all, just curious if anyone has experienced with HillStream loaches eating their own fry or any fry maybe Bristlenose pleco fry? I’m cutting out the tank I had a hillstream loaches in and it would only be able to fit with my plecos unless I rehome it. I have plenty of caves for both the plecos and loaches in it just curious if the free swimming fry would become a snack. Thanks I’m advance!

Madeline Peterson

Nearly any fish will eat fry. Did a quick Google search, and, given that they'll eat most live foods, Hillstream loaches are unlikely to be an exception.

Jallen42

Madeline Peterson said:
Nearly any fish will eat fry. Did a quick Google search, and, given that they'll eat most live foods, Hillstream loaches are unlikely to be an exception.
I’m curious on how true information is on them as loaches are notorious for eating eggs however these loaches in particular are shown right next to their fry in many cases and as plecos tend to guard their eggs until the fry are free swimming id be curious to see the size difference as I believe it should be similar. Knowing this it would be safe to assume the fry should be safe but I have little experience with my loaches and whether they are willing to predate on a much smaller fish.

Jallen42

Madeline Peterson said:
I've seen dojo loaches eat guppy fry.
For sure however this post is over hillstream loaches

Madeline Peterson

I personally wouldn't risk it. However, your fish, your rules.

Latest threads

Top Bottom