Hillstream Loach Care Question

1. jess3434

jess3434 Member Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi all, I'm interested in the hillstream loach and I have a few questions. Firstly, can the live alone? Are they all wild caught? I'd rather not purchase wild caught fish. I have a 20 gallon tall with white cloud mountain minnows, would they be able to live together? And I would appreciate any other information/tips you guys have about these fascinating little creatures. AS well, if anyone has experience keeping them any ways to make them feel at ease and keep them healthy (feeding for example). Thanks :)

2. Greg F

Greg F Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +486
    I have a pair. They would do well with white clouds , danios or any other peacful fish that likes cooler fast flowing water.

I dont think the would be suitable for a 20 tall. A 20 long or 29 would be the minimum I would try as they are active and fast swimmers and need room with fast moving water.

Mine eat everything from flakes to pellets to grazing in algae patches to bloodworms and brine shrimp. They LOVE the occasional zucchini , broccoli or sweet potato too. Apple is a rare treat .

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +4,992
    Aren't there different species more / less okay for a 20G?

4. OP
    OP
    jess3434

jess3434 Member Member

Ratings:
    +48
    I'm not well versed with the species, which ones would be suitable for my 20 gallon?

5. Greg F

Ratings:
    +486
    The only ones I have seen readily available are the reticulated variety and my opinion is that longer and lower is way better than taller for them.

You are correct though. I should have specified I only have experience with the one variety though.

Really cool little fish .

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +4,992
  7. OP
    OP
    jess3434

jess3434 Member Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks so much! Do you know if they are wild caught? Does your pair have quarrels/fights?

8. Greg F

Ratings:
    +486
    @jess3434 - google the Planet Loach website and search for hillstream loaches. Good resource!

I have a breeder in my area but they are still tough to breed so I dont know how available they are everywhere. They bicker over food on occasion but these guys have absolutely no offensive weapons so it is nothing more than a pillow fight.

9. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +918
    My number one tip:

Fix the aquarium so that they cannot climb out and dessicate.

My second tip:

Be prepared for a long life-span (my one that didn't climb out and die lived for 12 years).

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted