"hillstream" 20 Gallon High Tank Stocking Idea

1. inFERNal_inFERNo Initiate Member

In the process of cleaning out and refurbishing my dilapidated 20-gallon high tank, one of my filters broke and I decided to invest in an Eheim classic 150. This combined with my still working aqueon quietflow 10 creates a pretty high flow environment. Curious, I googled some high flow fish and found, hillstream loaches, panda garas, and hatchet fish to be highly appealing. When I looked on the new arrivals section of my lfs, I found, to my surprise, that they indeed had all three fish in stock.

(link for explanation:
    )

In my tank currently, I have anubias, driftwood, a red flame sword, and some hydrocotyle. These plants are in there along with my lone surviving lemon tetra from the tanks previous iteration and a nerite snail. The substrate is eco-complete, and I am using a finnex 24/7 planted+ light.

I was really taken by these "hillstream-type" fish though. I came up with a sample stock on aq advisor, and I was wondering if it would work. I know aq advisor can't always be trusted, and I am also concerned about keeping my lemon tetra in some fashion as it was the first fish I ever put in a tank 5 years ago. I have heard that they are quite good swimmers though. Anyone with any advice on keeping a tank like this would be welcome.

Stock:

1 x Panda Garra (Garra flavatra)

5 x Hillstream Loach (Gastromyzon ctenocephalus)

8 x Lemon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis)

2 x Silver Hatchet (Gasteropelecus sternicla)

Aqadvisor says it is 94% stocked, I am willing to cut down on species as needed.

PS: would my plants be ok in a high flow environment?

2. inFERNal_inFERNo Initiate Member

The stock suggested in the reddit post is of course no longer applicable

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

You need at least 6 hatchetfish in a group, also I wouldn't keep them in a 20 high.

4. inFERNal_inFERNo Initiate Member

Ok, so no to the hatchet fish then. Is there any other fish for the topwater that likes current? Any ideas?

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Zebra danios?

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

duplicate

7. inFERNal_inFERNo Initiate Member

Zebra danios would work, but I don't think two schools of fish would what with the lemon tetras and such. But I'll look into it.

8. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah probably not the best idea. Are you sure lemon tetras are a hillstream type fish?