"hillstream" 20 Gallon High Tank Stocking Idea

1. inFERNal_inFERNo

inFERNal_inFERNo Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +2
    In the process of cleaning out and refurbishing my dilapidated 20-gallon high tank, one of my filters broke and I decided to invest in an Eheim classic 150. This combined with my still working aqueon quietflow 10 creates a pretty high flow environment. Curious, I googled some high flow fish and found, hillstream loaches, panda garas, and hatchet fish to be highly appealing. When I looked on the new arrivals section of my lfs, I found, to my surprise, that they indeed had all three fish in stock.

(link for explanation:
    )

In my tank currently, I have anubias, driftwood, a red flame sword, and some hydrocotyle. These plants are in there along with my lone surviving lemon tetra from the tanks previous iteration and a nerite snail. The substrate is eco-complete, and I am using a finnex 24/7 planted+ light.

I was really taken by these "hillstream-type" fish though. I came up with a sample stock on aq advisor, and I was wondering if it would work. I know aq advisor can't always be trusted, and I am also concerned about keeping my lemon tetra in some fashion as it was the first fish I ever put in a tank 5 years ago. I have heard that they are quite good swimmers though. Anyone with any advice on keeping a tank like this would be welcome.

Stock:

1 x Panda Garra (Garra flavatra)

5 x Hillstream Loach (Gastromyzon ctenocephalus)

8 x Lemon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis)

2 x Silver Hatchet (Gasteropelecus sternicla)

Aqadvisor says it is 94% stocked, I am willing to cut down on species as needed.

PS: would my plants be ok in a high flow environment?

2. OP
    OP
    inFERNal_inFERNo

Ratings:
    +2
    The stock suggested in the reddit post is of course no longer applicable

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +3,722
    You need at least 6 hatchetfish in a group, also I wouldn't keep them in a 20 high.

4. OP
    OP
    inFERNal_inFERNo

Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, so no to the hatchet fish then. Is there any other fish for the topwater that likes current? Any ideas?

5. Anders247

Ratings:
    +3,722
    Zebra danios?

6. Anders247

Ratings:
    +3,722
    duplicate

7. OP
    OP
    inFERNal_inFERNo

Ratings:
    +2
    Zebra danios would work, but I don't think two schools of fish would what with the lemon tetras and such. But I'll look into it.

8. Anders247

Ratings:
    +3,722
    Yeah probably not the best idea. Are you sure lemon tetras are a hillstream type fish?