Hill Stream Loach Question - Page 2

greywolf56

Hello, I am new here and am excited to be par of the community.

I run a 300 litre tank with dimensions 157 long, 60 tall and 38 wide (cm)

I currently have guppies, platies, otocinclus and hill stream loach.

My question is this: all the fish are doing well except for the hill stream and I have no idea why. From what I understand, the hill stream eats the same things as the otos and yet the otos are slowly getting bigger and chubbier with wonderful dark colouration and stripe, while my hill streams keep dying.

pH is between 7.2 and 7.4 depending on if it is a water change day and the temp is 25 C. there is 0 amonia, nitrite and nitrate and I have lots of floating plants.

I am pretty sure oxygen levels are alright since my other fish only comes up when they sleep or when they know it's feeding time.

I really like my hill stream but I also can't reduce the temp or the other fish will get whitespot/ich. Please help. If I cannot keep hill streams, what other adorable fish can I keep with my current tank mates?

Oh and I have no problem growing alge for the aufwache to build up, sorry for the spelling, I am pretty sure the otos are eating the aufwache because I never seen them eat the food I put for my guppies and platys and I had them for around a month and a half now.

Thank you so much. I am new to the hobby so I will really appreciate any help from people more experianced. I only started in March this year.

Noroomforshoe

Yeah I definitely want to get him some friends. Originally I'd planned to keep 3-4...you think 6 would be better? I'd like to get my Otos up to 10-12. Would I be okay stocking wise to keep 6 HSL, say 12 Otos, 6 pearl danios (will be bumping their numbers up to give them a fuller school), and the 4-6 amanos? Oh, and the nerite I always forget is in there. I know Otos and HSL like pristine water so don't want to get overstocked, but want to keep them with good schooling numbers. Appreciate any insight you have on this!
Loaches are very social schooling fish, In the wild there would be 50 or hundreds in a group. so Im not sure who decided that 6 is the number to use as a minimum for any school of fish, but Yes they are schooling fish, yes more is better. I know that some of those are small fish, but you have to be carefull. I think you would be ok with 6 hillstreams, and 6 pearl danios and 6 ottos. Any more then that would depend on how diligent you are with cleaning, with tests. Also live plants could help.

About getting 10-15 ottos, some ottos will never adapt to eating processed foods. And if you run out of live algae, they can starve. I recommend you get some river rocks and put them in a clear bowl in a window to grow some algae. If that works, the ottos will always have food.

Upvote 0

ShannyB

Loaches are very social schooling fish, In the wild there would be 50 or hundreds in a group. so Im not sure who decided that 6 is the number to use as a minimum for any school of fish, but Yes they are schooling fish, yes more is better. I know that some of those are small fish, but you have to be carefull. I think you would be ok with 6 hillstreams, and 6 pearl danios and 6 ottos. Any more then that would depend on how diligent you are with cleaning, with tests. Also live plants could help.

About getting 10-15 ottos, some ottos will never adapt to eating processed foods. And if you run out of live algae, they can starve. I recommend you get some river rocks and put them in a clear bowl in a window to grow some algae. If that works, the ottos will always have food.

Thanks so much for your response! I'll plan to bump the HSL population up to 6 as soon as possible. My tank is moderately-to-heavily (don't know the distinction, but there's lots) planted and I do weekly 30-50% water changes, despite my nitrates (I test every 3-5 days, API) staying in the 5-10ppm range, to keep it as clean as possible for the Otos and HSL. With this many algae/aufwuchs eaters I do have rocks in a glass vase in a south facing window growing some good stuff for them. Fortunately my LFS had them eating API algae wafers before selling them so the ones I got will eat a variety of foods, but having the rocks is a nice added security measure to ensure I'll always have food for everyone. I just love their behaviors and personalities so definitely want to keep them all as happy and healthy as possible!

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Sounds like you have things covered, ! good luck!

Upvote 0

greywolf56

My otos won't eat wafers, but I have been successful keeping them happy and with round bellies. I have my lights on around 10 hours a day, a fluval 3.0, and the alge grows quite well even with floating plants. Mine loves eating on drift wood and mapony root, so maybe get some of those? As long as your water is 0 ppm amonia, nitrite and nitrate they are fine. I have gone up to 0.25 ppm nitrite once, but they were still munching away and swimming around. I think you will be fine :) I have my tank next to windows so the light enters the tank from one of the short sides and lge grows pretty well. Good luck! Oh, and I have read somewhere that as long as you have enough alge, you can support two otos per 5 gallons without need for extra food, that is putting aside the fact that a range of food is good for them. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Question
Replies
Views
fish 321
Replies
Views