Hikari Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by shrimp, Dec 11, 2012.

1. shrimp

shrimpValued MemberMember

Since brine shrimp are really good to give fish to prepare them for breeding, would freeze dried brine shrimp have the same effect of the fish?

2. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Many people argue no, that the freeze-drying properties damages the beneficial qualities of the nutrients. Others disagree and say that they're almost as good as frozen. If you do feed them though, be sure to soak them in tank water before feeding. If you don't, then they'll absorb water in the fish's stomach and expand, and bad things could happen.

Personally I feed frozen food rather than freeze-dried. It really isn't any more difficult; I cut the cube into 1/8ths and put the bits in a ziplock bag. When I want to feed, I put a chunk or two into a tiny bowl with some Garlic Guard (soaking in garlic is better than tank water, as garlic has anti-parasitic properties and can stimulate fish's appetites) and use a turkey baster to feed. :) Everyone gobbles them right up.

3. OP
    OP
    shrimp

How long should I let it soak for?

4. kinezumi89

I'm sure a few minutes is fine, just enough that they're soggy instead of crunchy. :) It's easy with frozen because you know you just have to soak until they're thawed ;)

5. OP
    OP
    shrimp

where did you get the frozen? LFS had it?

6. Ava

AvaValued MemberMember

Most websites I've looked at recommend soaking for about 10 minutes (although that seems like overkill). I just put mine in and then watch them blimp up. After they soak up some water I squeeze the rest of the air out and then feed them to my babies.

7. kinezumi89

Yup, most Petsmarts and Petcos have them. :) I've seen a few stores that don't have the freezer case though. They're about $5 per package, a whole bunch of them. Since I cut the cubes into 1/8ths, one package lasts forever for me. :)

8. OP
    OP
    shrimp

Wow I didn't know that, I don't remember seeing any freezers in the ones by me for fish food. And the Freeze dried food I got didn't mention to soak it on the directions, defiantly better do that haha.

9. kinezumi89

I was going to ask if you lived in a rural area until I looked at your location :p There are stores with and without the freezers near me. They're always by the fish though, so take a look next time you go. :) They have all sorts of goodies like brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, bloodworms...something else I'm blanking on the name (good for constipated fishies), and things with lower protein content for herbivorous fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice