High Vitamin C Flake Food

Bubbleduck

Does anyone know of any fish flake with a high vitamin C content? I’m looking for at least 1000 mg/kg of vitamin C. I tried Hikari’s Seaweed Extreme and the fish seemed to like the taste, but it’s a sinking pellet so some of the pellets would sink into the substrate and my fish had to spit it out and eat it back up again.

Hikari Seaweed extreme contains 3,300 mg/kg of vitamin C.

BigManAquatics

What kind of fish are we feeding?

Tetra's Goldfish Flakes says they are enriched with Vitamin C, haven't seen amounts or anything.

V1K

I'm curious, why is this high vit C content is required by your fish in the first place?

MacZ

I'm curious, why is this high vit C content is required by your fish in the first place?
It is very surely not. Too high doses cause kidney problems in fish and humans alike.

Fish vitamins like JBL Atvitol or Sera Fishtamin added to the food or only some drops directly to the tank 1-2x a week is enough.

Bubbleduck

It is very surely not. Too high doses cause kidney problems in fish and humans alike.

Fish vitamins like JBL Atvitol or Sera Fishtamin added to the food or only some drops directly to the tank 1-2x a week is enough.
What amount of vitamin C would be too high of a dose for guppies? When I research on them they find that 1000 mg/kg is required for optimal growth. Sometimes even 2000 mg/kg of vitamin C.

The Effects of Vitamins C and E on the Growth Performance of Guppy (Poecilia reticulata Peters, 1860) Fry [*]

The effect of vitamin C on growth factors, survival, reproduction and sex ratio in guppy (Poecilia reticulata) - ProQuest
What kind of fish are we feeding?

Tetra's Goldfish Flakes says they are enriched with Vitamin C, haven't seen amounts or anything.
Guppies.

RayClem

Kent Marine sells a liquid supplement called Zoe (which means life). It contains a variety of vitamins and lipids and spirulina algae. While it is particularly useful in marine aquariums with both fish and invertebrates, it can also be used in freshwater aquariums. You would simply put a few drops of Zoe on the pellets or flakes before you feed them.

Vitamin C is an antixodant (reducing agent). Thus, it can be used as an alternative to sodium thiosulfate for neutralizing chlorine in tap water. I have never used it for that purpose, so I do not know the dosage.

MacZ

What amount of vitamin C would be too high of a dose for guppies? When I research on them they find that 1000 mg/kg is required for optimal growth. Sometimes even 2000 mg/kg of vitamin C.

The Effects of Vitamins C and E on the Growth Performance of Guppy (Poecilia reticulata Peters, 1860) Fry [*]

The effect of vitamin C on growth factors, survival, reproduction and sex ratio in guppy (Poecilia reticulata) - ProQuest

Guppies.
Pass. I always only bred cichlids and while yes, providing Vitamin C is an essential, I am very sure unless your livelihood depends on mass-producing (5000 specimens/week) guppies you are overdoing it when you go into such details.

A good quality multivitamin mix additional to high quality live and frozen food will do more for your fish than deciding whether you need 1 or 2 grams of Vitamin C per kilogram of fish food.

If you want to know how much is too much, look up the LD50 for Vitamin C. That's the dose at which 50% of animals die from overdosing.

Bubbleduck

Pass. I always only bred cichlids and while yes, providing Vitamin C is an essential, I am very sure unless your livelihood depends on mass-producing (5000 specimens/week) guppies you are overdoing it when you go into such details.

A good quality multivitamin mix additional to high quality live and frozen food will do more for your fish than deciding whether you need 1 or 2 grams of Vitamin C per kilogram of fish food.

If you want to know how much is too much, look up the LD50 for Vitamin C. That's the dose at which 50% of animals die from overdosing.
Could you please give a specific source of the lethal dose of vitamin C for fish? When I look up LD50 I get different results depending on the animal that are a little more than 10 times the amount I’m looking for.

MacZ

Could you please give a specific source of the lethal dose of vitamin C for fish? When I look up LD50 I get different results depending on the animal that are a little more than 10 times the amount I’m looking for.
The species is irrelevant. The LD50 of Vitamin C is 11.5grams per kilogram body mass. Calculate it yourself for a 5 gram fish.

RayClem

I suspect that most of the data on the lethal dose of vitamin c and most other compounds is based on research using rats. MacZ referenced a study based on guppies, but looking at requirements for optimal growth.

For men of moderate weight. the recommended daily dose is about 90 mg. However, Vitamin C supplements often contain 1000 mg, more than 10X the recommend daily allowance.. The lethal dose would be many times this amount. However, 2000 mg per day is considered the upper limit as above that level, there can be unpleasant side effects. You should never come anywhere close to the LD50 for humans or fish.

Dosing is often based on body weight. MacZ quoted a dosage rate of 1000 mg per 1 kg. However, average adults guppies weight 0.1 g with females being heavier than males. Therefore, it would take 10,000 adult guppies to reach a total weight of 1 kg for which 1000 mg of Vitamin C might be required.

Fish foods might contain 3000 mg Vitamin C per kilogram of flakes or pellets, but a kilogram of food will feed a lot off fish for a very long time. I normally purchase flake foods in 50 g containers. It would take 20 of those containers to make a kilogram.

MacZ

MacZ referenced a study based on guppies, but looking at requirements for optimal growth.

MacZ quoted a dosage rate of 1000 mg per 1 kg.
RayClem: I did not. You copied the wrong user name. It was the OP.

My point was that this approach is pretty useless, as one single vitamin alone is not going to make or brake a breeding project, especially not on a non-commercial level.

RayClem

RayClem: I did not. You copied the wrong user name. It was the OP.

My point was that this approach is pretty useless, as one single vitamin alone is not going to make or brake a breeding project, especially not on a non-commercial level.
Sorry, sometimes I get confused by the multiple quotes.

A201

It's been a very long time since I kept fancy Guppies. About the only fish foods available to me at the time were flake foods manufactured by Wardley & Tetra.
I really didn't pay a lot of attention to the nutritional content.
Despite my fishkeeping inexperience and lack of quality food choices, the Guppies flourished & reproduced at the usual hyper accelerated rate.
Decades later, with the modern availability of numerous brands of nutrient rich fish foods, I've become somewhat of a food snob feeding only NLS, Omega One & Tetra Min.
My point to the OP is, your Guppies are likely going to do just fine & produce multitudes of babies, if you provide the proper water parameters & feed a quality commercial fish food. No need to be overly concerned about vitamin C.
My food recommendation for your Guppies would be New Life Spectrum Thera +A.

Bubbleduck

It's been a very long time since I kept fancy Guppies. About the only fish foods available to me at the time were flake foods manufactured by Wardley & Tetra.
I really didn't pay a lot of attention to the nutritional content.
Despite my fishkeeping inexperience and lack of quality food choices, the Guppies flourished & reproduced at the usual hyper accelerated rate.
Decades later, with the modern availability of numerous brands of nutrient rich fish foods, I've become somewhat of a food snob feeding only NLS, Omega One & Tetra Min.
My point to the OP is, your Guppies are likely going to do just fine & produce multitudes of babies, if you provide the proper water parameters & feed a quality commercial fish food. No need to be overly concerned about vitamin C.
My food recommendation for your Guppies would be New Life Spectrum Thera +A.
I’m currently giving New Life Spectrum Optimum Flakes with Ocean Nutrition Spirulina Flakes. New Life Spectrum because of its high fiber content, carbohydrates, and vitamin C content. Ocean Nutrition as a source of probiotics. Seachem NutriDiet did have probiotics and an even higher vitamin C content than NLS, but they seem to have less of a broad amount of probiotics for different purposes compared to Ocean Nutrition.

A201

I think you have all bases covered.
I'm sure your Guppies will be healthy & colorful. Be sure to post pics.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bruxes and Bubbles
Replies
Views
Tolak
Replies
Views
RobinWhiskers
Replies
Views