High temperatuer killing goldfish?

1. LWormy Member Member

Hello! One of my goldfish mysteriously died this morning. She have no visible injury, disease, etc. The only symptom she shows is long stringy poop that I think might be camalanus worm. I dosed the tank with levamisole yesterday and she died today. The temperature for the past 2 days are pretty high. The water hit 79 degree F today. Could that have killed my fish? It is a common goldfish btw. She is kept with a fantail in a 32 gallon tank. There are no ammonia or nitrite and about 10 nitrate. I read that temp close to 80 degree is dangerous to goldfish, but could that have kill them that fast? My other fantail goldfish seems sluggish and listless. I am trying to lower the temp with ice bottles because I don't have a fan or anything. Please help! I don't want my other fish to die too!

2. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I am not an expert but I highly doubt a temperature of 79F would kill a goldfish. In fact, fancy goldfish actually prefer warmer water. I keep mine about 75F and 79F really isn't all that warm.

I mean, if you had no oxygenation then that would be an issue in warmer water but goldfish have been known to survive in both freezing temps and temps in the 90s with enough aeration.

Was the temp swing very severe or sudden? Have you checked to make sure there weren't any pH swings? I don't know if medication could affect that. I really have no idea why he would have that reaction.

I do know these fish lived a very poor life prior to you, and perhaps that weakened them. Many medications can be stressful on a fish and I know another member mentioned in your other thread seeing listlessness and lethargy after dosing the medication. It's possible the poor thing just couldn't handle it :(

The white stringy poops could have been infection OR stress from medication/infection. Either way, is it possible he just could not handle the stress of medication on top of everything else?

3. LWormy Member Member

The temp changed rather quickly, it changed about 6 degree within a day. The fish that died was a common goldfish and her name was Behemoth. My other fish (a fantail) is looking better now after I added some salt. I don't know if the oxygen level dropped too low, but I have a Marineland Penguin 350 that make a lot of surface agitation. I think that it is possible that the med killed her. But how come the other fish didn't die then?

4. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Each fish is different. Whether or not they can handle the stress of medication depends largely on the fish. Poor behemoth maybe just had enough.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Stringy pooh doesn't sound like camalanus to me, but somekind of other parasite (flagelates).

6. Blueszz Well Known Member Member

I've seen stringy poo as symptom before I knew what was going on. I didn't treat as I didn't know what to treat for... until I saw the worms protruding from the anus. After the treatment with Levamisol the never had stringy poo again.

I once bought a pair of gourami's, the male stopped eating while in quarantine, after 2 days they arrived home. I saw them poop only during the first 2 days and that looked normal but then the male stopped eating and besides loosing weight fast that was the only symptom. I gave the LFS a call and based on the symptoms they thought it was Flagellates, treated against that and they were cured. I don't know by own experience if Flagellates causes stringy poo too as I didn't see that in this couple but maybe I had them too short before one of them stopped eating.

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Okay, I was clearly wrong about that.

8. Blueszz Well Known Member Member

DD, I don't know if you were wrong. In my case I clearly saw the stringy poop before I could diagnose the Camellanus, but that doesn't exclude they might have flagellates at the same time. However I didn't treat them for that, fish have certain self healing properties, so who knows. That is why we don't always see all fish from the same species becoming ill.
    With lab diagnostics I can't say the stringy poo only was caused by the cammelanus.

9. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Ummm goldfish are coldwater species.

10. LWormy Member Member

I know, that's why I was wondering if the temp killed her. Also, for some reason, this goldfish always had a pretty wide stomach. It is not like bloating or constipation or anything it's just that her body is unusually wide. Once in a while, a piece of what seems like the fish's flesh will pop out of the scale. I keep trying to figure out what happened with no success. Is it possible that the fish had a tumor or something along that line?

11. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Goldfish are temperate water, not really cold water exclusively. Fancy goldfish, in fact, actually do better in warmer water. I keep my fancies between 74 and 76F. They can handle an extraordinary range of temperatures given gradual exposure and proper oxygenation.

6 degrees over 24 hours is kind of a wide swing but I honestly don't think that on its own would have killed him. Like what happened in my tank, I think you're looking at a convergence of factors.

White, stringy waste can be a sign of many things. Constipation, internal infection (bacterial OR parasitic) and even plain old stress. It's hard just to diagnose and treat based on the one symptom. I forget, were there any others?

I'm just putting pieces together here but I think it's very likely that a few things happened. These goldfish had it rough before you. They lived together in, what, a 6g tank? It's likely the water quality and lack of room in there had serious effects on them, physiologically and immunologically. This stress perhaps made them vulnerable. They came to you, where you went to commendable lengths to give them a good, healthy home. Sometimes, even this can be stressful at first. Like feeding a starving person too much food at once. If Behemoth was actually sick with camallanus worms or some other infection, this would really wear on him/her. Add to that the stress of medication, and I think you have a recipe for an exhausted fish that simply could not handle it.

I think it was probably the sum of all of these parts that led to Behemoth's death. Of course, it's pure speculation but it does kind of add up. All of your fish had the lethargic reactions to the medication, right? Perhaps, in a weakened state, it was just too much for the poor thing? This is just my guess on what happened.

It's hard to lose a fish or have one fall ill and not be able to put your finger on exactly why it happened, so I'm sorry for what you must be feeling :(

I think you did your absolute best by a fish that would certainly have been doomed otherwise. I am sorry for your loss.

12. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

LWormy, I think the root cause of issue was the callamanus worms. Once they protude out of the anal vent, they have already done damage to the internal parts of the fish. I wouldn't worry about a 6F temp swing in a 24 hour periods, as this occurs in ponds all the time.

13. LWormy Member Member

I never actually see the worms protruding from the goldfish anus. It's just that behemoth start pooping clear ppop and look sluggish pretty much the exact same time a camallanus wrm outbreak occurs in my other guppy tank. Since she have unusually wide stomack, is there any possibility that she have a tumor?