High Tech vs. Low Tech Cryptocoryne Growth

Mudminnow

I thought this was interesting, so I thought I'd share:

A few months ago I bought some Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green gecko'. I placed some of the plants in my high tech tank (CO2 injection) and some in my low tech tank (no CO2 injection). Both tanks have the same source water. I use Thrive C in the low tech tank and APT complete and Osmocote in the high tech tank. The high tech tank has much higher light. And, the low tech tank has a sand substrate, while the high tech has soil.

This is how my cryptocoryne looks in my low tech tank (please excuse the stirred up detritus as I just did a water change right before I took the picture) :

1633809444300.png

This is how the same cryptocoryne looks in my high tech tank:

1633809597590.png

ruud

Nice. In defence of the low tech tank. My crypts are absolutely thriving in all my low tech tanks; sand substrate, no CO2, no ferts (apart from natural occurring ferts) and very low light. The leaves are geen though, most likely caused by a lack of anthocyanins due to the low light. And also not as compact as yours, but looking a lot better than your crypts in your low tech tank. Is there sufficient water movement in that corner?

Mudminnow

Nice. In defence of the low tech tank. My crypts are absolutely thriving in all my low tech tanks; sand substrate, no CO2, no ferts (apart from natural occurring ferts) and very low light. The leaves are geen though, most likely caused by a lack of anthocyanins due to the low light.
Yeah, my crypts are just barely hanging on in my low tech tank. I think my lighting is a bit low (even for them). But, it suits my anubias and bucephalandras just fine.

And, this is not meant to disparage low tech tanks at all. I like low tech tanks too. I just thought it was interesting to see the extremes in growth form in the same type of cryptocoryne.

ruud

Mine appear to have even less light than your tank, so I'm inclined to point the finger to a difference water movement; which is key in low tech/low light setups. In any case, the red "shrub" looks gorgeous.

Blacksheep1

If this isn’t a high tech advert I don’t know what is :hilarious:

they don’t even look like the same plant !

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sputnik
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
ThaiCaliber
Replies
Views