High-Tech ADA 60P (IMAGES)

californiascape

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Very excited to share how this scape progresses with you guys! This is my first true fully aquascaped tank, and I’m sure it will teach me a ton as it progresses. For now it’s filled up all the way, but I’m considering draining it a couple of inches and doing a moss wall up the back of it. We’ll see how it goes I guess, I’m just flowing with it.

Without further ado, let’s get right into it! Thank you for following me on this scaping journey, I hope it inspires you as well.

Stats
Tank: ADA 60P
Filtration: Eheim 2215 + JARDLI glass pipes
Lighting: Chihiros WRGB + Commander 4
Substrate: Tropica Aquasoil
Hardscape: Seiryu stone and ghost wood
Fertilizers: NILOCG Thrive S
Co2: Co2Art regulator+diffuser + 5lb cylinder

Plant List:
- Micranthemum ‘Monte Carlo
- Staurogyne repens
- Hydrocotyle tripartita
- Hygrophila pinnatifida
- Hygrophilia siamenesis
- Rotala indica
- Ludwigia Peruensis/Gladulosa var. Diamond
- Hygrophila Difformis
- Riccia fluitans
- Ludwigia Natans ‘Super Red’
- Proserpinaca Palustris
- Ludwigia Sedioides
- Taxiphyllum Sp. ‘Christmas’
- Taxiphyllum Sp. ‘Peacock’
- Vallisneria Sp. ?
- Phyllanthus fluitans

I haven’t decided on livestock yet, but most likely a big school + a centerpiece fish pair + invertebrates. I’m concerned that the seiryu stone raising the ph and the substrate lowering the ph will cause fluctuations and difficulties for fish. The tank is at 6.6 ph right now, but as the soil buffer wears out, rising ph might be an issue. Not sure whether I should be trusting and stock lower-ph fish or higher-ph fish. Either way, this journal will chart how that progresses.

Hardscaped on November 10, 2019.
2D2B5AF7-A5F3-44D6-8742-4F5765435E5F.jpeg

75854FC8-5A45-4BAD-B339-81CD6AE58688.jpeg

californiascape

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Planted and filled on November 19, 2019.
8F4186E9-02F2-4288-8B75-223A8B99E36D.jpeg

6F390114-80A0-45B7-BFBC-9AE1B7F41E5C.jpeg

5A1726DB-B3B2-441D-84DB-1595CC40C038.jpeg

californiascape

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Day 1

Cloudy so far, but that’s to be expected! Those bright green Eheim pipes look so bad haha, I’ll be replacing them with glass pipes and clear hoses soon! Setting up the canister was a bit frustrating, as it’s my first canister and I wasn’t sure exactly how to use it. Once I get the hang of it though I’m sure it’ll be fine, I’m already loving this canister compared to HOB’s and internals I’ve had in the past!

Plants haven’t rooted yet, obviously, so they keep floating up. I’ll just continue to replant them until they take hold I guess. Still dialing in lighting and co2 periods.

E4211670-A533-4515-9E18-284EA2388163.jpeg

californiascape

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Day 2

Water’s clearing up and plants are settling in more! No maintenance this day, just adding some liquid bacteria to get that cycle started. I spotted some pest snails that snuck in despite my plat quarantine... I’ll make another thread about the whole plant struggle setting up for this tank. It was quite the ordeal ;)

4CDFDCDD-3C0B-4374-825A-DE55D5CD6F91.jpeg

californiascape

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Day 5

Jumping a couple of days to Day 5. Today I did the first water change on this tank. 50% water change from the tap. I considered using remineralized RO water for this tank like I do on my smaller tanks, but with the larger volume it just wouldn’t be worth it. Especially since I don’t have a RO unit, I have to drive to fill up my water jugs. Plus, my tap parameters aren’t too bad.

There’s noticeable growth on the plants compared to Day 1 already! I trimmed the tall stems on the carpet to promote spreading, and the Monte Carlo seems to already be crawling sideways. Can’t wait to watch it fully carpet over in time.

Also replaced all the pipes+hoses except for the outflow today. Lily pipe glass outflow is coming soon in the mail ;)

019D837B-7574-4455-AFB2-8C51C73D0022.jpeg

Added the riccia fluitans to some branches at the top.
8A815D39-1B0D-45B7-A278-C14AA8C1A0C5.jpeg

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is amazing. I'm totally subbing!

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow! Gorgeous!!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looks amazing! I added a lily pipe to my heavily planted 29 on a SunSun302 and its so smooth. Your gonna love it.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tank looks great! Thanks for starting the thread :). How big is the tank?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
86 ssinit said:
Tank looks great! Thanks for starting the thread :). How big is the tank?
I just searched the ADA 60P and appears to be a 6 gallon.

californiascape

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you guys! Glad everyone’s interested :happy: Yep, I’m quite excited for the other lily pipe to come, I’m already loving it with the hoses+intake switched to clear. Outflow coming soon! Also, they’re oddly less fragile than I imagined. The glass intake feels quite solid and quality, probably because it’s the more expensive Jardli one. Thankfully I got it for free, my friend upstate mailed it to me because she didn’t need it anymore;)

kallililly1973 said:
I just searched the ADA 60P and appears to be a 6 gallon.
ADA 60P’s are actually ~17.5 gallons! It’s my biggest tank to date, haha. Still not that big, but the perfect size for scaping! Small enough to be mostly-afforable, while big enough to have room for interesting hardscape and good plant mass.

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fantastic start.

Glass wear will really make this build and plants pop.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
californiascape said:
ADA 60P’s are actually ~17.5 gallons! It’s my biggest tank to date, haha. Still not that big, but the perfect size for scaping! Small enough to be mostly-afforable, while big enough to have room for interesting hardscape and good plant mass.
I stand corrected thanks for clarifying. Yes that is a great size. I wonder why when i searched it it came up 6 gallons hmmmm.....

californiascape

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Day 8

Tank’s still chugging along. Chopped down and replanted the water wisteria in the right-middle and also the ludwigia sedoides on the left.

I had originally bought the sedoides with the plan of the tank being only 3/4 full. If you’re familiar with sedoides then you know how beautiful they are on the surface of the water! I’m still very unsure if I should drain the tank a couple inches or not. If I did, I would make a lush plant and moss wall up the back of the tank. What do you guys think? Probably better fully filled, or go out on a limb? Also thinking about stocking, I’d have more options fully filled.

F65E858A-76DB-40CD-AFC4-5F7BE4E008F8.jpeg

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
californiascape said:
Day 8

Tank’s still chugging along. Chopped down and replanted the water wisteria in the right-middle and also the ludwigia sedoides on the left.

I had originally bought the sedoides with the plan of the tank being only 3/4 full. If you’re familiar with sedoides then you know how beautiful they are on the surface of the water! I’m still very unsure if I should drain the tank a couple inches or not. If I did, I would make a lush plant and moss wall up the back of the tank. What do you guys think? Probably better fully filled, or go out on a limb? Also thinking about stocking, I’d have more options fully filled.

F65E858A-76DB-40CD-AFC4-5F7BE4E008F8.jpeg
I think it’d be fabulous 3/4 full. You could add some riparium plants to the top of the drift wood above water too and it’d be stunning! You’d also still have 11.25 gallons, so you could still do some micro fish and shrimp or maybe a betta and shrimp. :)

Just my personal opinion though! Do whatever you think would be best!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just keep thinking how great a pair of rams would look in the tank , but have not seen tank temperature mentioned and I am all but certain it is not warm enough ..Micro fish and or shrimp will look great and enjoy themselves also !

californiascape

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sunflower said:
I think it’d be fabulous 3/4 full. You could add some riparium plants to the top of the drift wood above water too and it’d be stunning! You’d also still have 11.25 gallons, so you could still do some micro fish and shrimp or maybe a betta and shrimp. :)
I think it might, but the other issue is the filter outflow and the lights. I haven’t ordered the lily pipe outflow yet so I can change it, but from what I’ve seen, no one sells extra deep lily pipes? Like, I’d need one that went 5 inches deep into the tank, but they pretty much only make 2-3 inch deep ones. I don’t know if I’m making sense haha, but it’s frustrating!

The other thing is that the light is right over where the plant wall would be, making it hard to do maintenance. I can’t move it forward because the filter pipes are there. Also not sure if this would be too much light/heat for the wall plants, I wouldn’t want them to get crispy o_O

On a lighter note, I wouldn’t have to buy any plants to add to the wall. I have tons of moss and houseplants I can take cuttings from, on top of tank trimmings. Yay, plant hoarding tendencies coming to the rescue of my wallet :D

God, I wish I could keep my Betta with shrimp... he’s an invertebrate destroyer :dead: Otherwise he wouldn’t he relinquished to a 5 gallon all alone. At least he likes it that way! Psycho that he is. Love him though. Small fish might be an option for the 60P, though having a centerpiece fish would also be nice. Hard to decide on stocking while I don’t know how the parameters will be in the future.

coralbandit said:
I just keep thinking how great a pair of rams would look in the tank , but have not seen tank temperature mentioned and I am all but certain it is not warm enough ..Micro fish and or shrimp will look great and enjoy themselves also !
I love rams! A pair of golden rams would look so awesome in this scape... but if the seiryu stone wins against the buffering substrate eventually, the high ph wouldn’t be good for the rams. Assuming they live through the parameters changing, as I’ve heard they can be quite sensitive. Temperature isn’t an issue, it’s at room temp 73F right now, but I could always add an inline heater :)

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
californiascape said:
I think it might, but the other issue is the filter outflow and the lights. I haven’t ordered the lily pipe outflow yet so I can change it, but from what I’ve seen, no one sells extra deep lily pipes? Like, I’d need one that went 5 inches deep into the tank, but they pretty much only make 2-3 inch deep ones. I don’t know if I’m making sense haha, but it’s frustrating!
Would it be possible to extend your return hose further down into the tank? Nevermind scratch that idea the lily pipe has the bend that loops over the top edge. I should know that i have one on my 29.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
californiascape said:
I love rams! A pair of golden rams would look so awesome in this scape... but if the seiryu stone wins against the buffering substrate eventually, the high ph wouldn’t be good for the rams. Assuming they live through the parameters changing, as I’ve heard they can be quite sensitive. Temperature isn’t an issue, it’s at room temp 73F right now, but I could always add an inline heater :)
Over 80f ?? We have several threads going on why rams [not Bolivian] need such warm water ..
I breed rams now for several years and feel 80f + is a must ..Less is a slow death for most rams ..

The tank is beautiful just the same !
My understanding is most plants do not like the temps that high ?

californiascape

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
coralbandit said:
Over 80f ?? We have several threads going on why rams [not Bolivian] need such warm water ..
I breed rams now for several years and feel 80f + is a must ..Less is a slow death for most rams ..

The tank is beautiful just the same !
My understanding is most plants do not like the temps that high ?
Yep, you’re absolutely right for the rams. I could probably stretch the plants to be okay in that warm of water, I’ve done it before with bettas! But I think I’ve crossed rams off of the list for parameter reasons. If the seiryu stone is going to make the water more hard as time goes on, I wouldn’t want to keep a ram that prefers soft water in the tank! One day I hope to have rams though, they’re absolutely gorgeous.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads