'High tech' 40 gallon breeder build

1. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Starting tomorrow I shall be breaking down my 20g high Co2 plant tank and building a new 40g breeder Co2 injected tank.

I will pick up the tank and some 2x4 tomorrow to start the build but a basic outline is as follows.

40g Breeder tank
    DIY stand
    Miracle grow potting mix
    Flora max mixed with Flourite to cap
    20lb Co2 cylinder
    Switching my glass diffuser for a powerhead for means of diffusion
    Lighting is a DIY setup of 2 work lights using CFL bulbs
    Filtration will be a sunsun canister and possibly an additional HOB

That is the basic build right now. I hope to update this post as I progress, patients isn't my best trait so the build likely won't take too long to get going and done.

2. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Looking forward to seeing this. Pics as you go!

3. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Not the very best of starts.
    Was half asleep when I went to Menards so ended up with star head screws which I don't have a drill bit for,
    Also hand sawing the wood in a 90f garage is not fun.

Just an FYI too, if you buy a tank during the dollar per gallon sale, you get charged the sales tax for the original price, not the sale price since it's technically a manufacturer coupon, that was something i learned today,

4. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Time for an update

Alright, after buying a T25 drill bit I could finally start assembling. I didn't buy enough wood to get the stand finished, can you tell I'm a novice to this DIY stuff yet?

So first off the tools I am using, I don't own any powertools other than a corded drill, I bought five, 7' length 2"x4" pieces of wood.
    DSCN0597.JPG

After cutting the wood to length, started with the top and bottom frame I screwed them together and that was it for my first day on the project.
    DSCN0598.JPG

Day two I cut the lengths for the legs, I made this stand 30" tall, I contemplated going higher but decided against it since it would make reaching in the tank more difficult even though I am pretty tall. I also tested out the stand with the aquarium, I made the sizes a half inch too big but i do feel like maybe I should have gone a full inch too large as I haven't left much wiggle room at all.
    DSCN0599.JPG

Day 3, today, I cut one of the support legs to size and fitted it to the stand with one of the leftover pieces of wood. I have enough wood to make one more support leg and two shorter lengths left that I can make 2 center braces for the top and bottom. So at some point this week I need to get another piece or two of wood to finish of the remaining 2 or 6 support legs dependent on whether or not I think my handy work is going to hold up with just 4.

DSCN0601.JPG

One of the guide legs did split when I was assembling, I think the wood was flawed and the screws opened up the weakness, I dumped some wood glue in the gaps to try and give them a little bit of something but I am not sure that i really need to worry about it since it is only a guide leg. It does make me lean toward 8 support legs though over 4.

DSCN0600.JPG

5. SuzanaBanana

SuzanaBanana Valued Member Member

The good thing is that aftervthe 1st time of doing something, you can work out all of the kinks, and you become an expert

6. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Yeh, one big kink that I'd like to work out is getting a powersaw, keeping an eye on craigslist for something ideal and cheap to pop up.

7. SuzanaBanana

SuzanaBanana Valued Member Member

Just fyi if you hav a Craigslist account, you can set notifications to be sent to your email, for ads with specific words

8. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Got the stand finished and the tank filled up yesterday. Now I need to plant it and get everything situated. I need to redo my DIY lighting, since it was positioned for my 20g the shelf I made to clamp the lights to is no longer central.

Stand in position and tank ready to go.
    DSCN0607.JPG

Added a shallow layer of dirt, less than an inch I'd say.
    DSCN0608.JPG

Capped with my mix of Flora max and Flourite, Had about 30-40lbs of it between my 20g and some I had as left over from another tank. Just enough to make a decent cap for the soil.
    DSCN0610.JPG

Water in and ready to get the plants in, once planted this thing will look incredibly bare, the vast amount of floor space in this thing is quite amazing and I's guess (without calculating it) more than my 55g
    DSCN0614.JPG

9. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Update pic

DSCN0641.JPG