High quality plants from a trustworthy vendor

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by MandiMurray, Jul 8, 2015.

1. MandiMurrayNew MemberMember

How do I find them?!? No one in my area really sells them, and I'm (understandably) nervous about randomly choosing a vendor online.

A little background on my tanks- I have a 125 gallon freshwater tank, a 55 gallon freshwater nursery tank (I am about to turn it into a brackish tank to help my guppy/molly/platy fry feel more at home, though), a 10 gallon freshwater hospital tank, another 10 gallon freshwater tank (for my son), and we are just starting up a 75 gallon marine/reef tank.

I'm really looking for plants to go in my freshwater/brackish tanks, but I don't know what to look for or who to buy them from. Please help me!

2. LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

Get 50 posts on Fishlore and purchase from us. ;D We often have a lot of good quality plants for sale on here.

Other people I've seen people order plants are from PeaBodysParadise, Dustin's Fish Tanks etc.

3. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I've bought from here a lot. I highly recommend them.

4. MandiMurrayNew MemberMember

Awesome, thank you! This is my first post here, although to be honest I've been visiting for a long time! I love researching anything and everything aquarium related and every time I've googled a question over the past year or two it's always led me straight to this site. I get led here at least once a week so I finally gave in a few minutes ago and made an account haha.

Why do I need to make 50 posts first? Also, do you have any fav plants and/or recommendations for me to start off with? My goal is to have heavily planted tanks. I have a lot of decorations, but I'd like to start putting some plants in soon!

5. LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

It's against forum rules to buy, sell or trade with people who have less than 50 posts. It helps a lot with preventing scammers and spammers.

6. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

7. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Peabody's Paradise and Bama plants are the only ones I can recommend online, aside from buying plants from ebay sellers, Aquabid sellers, or members of various forums. Aquariumplants.com has a rather shotty reputation actually, and they charge too much for both their plants and for shipping. They won't even ship to my state because they can't be bothered to regulate which plants they're sending in, and we have several plants illegal to import which they sell regularly.

Once you reach 50 posts on the forum, we also have several folks here who regularly sell high quality, healthy plant clippings.

8. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Have you tried calling anyone at Aquariumplants.com?

9. marytsharpValued MemberMember

I've used Peabody's Paradise several times now and everything I get from there comes in excellent shape and grows like crazy. "peadodysparadise.com". He is very reasonable and is also a Fishlore Forum member jetajockey.

10. junebugFishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't bother calling a company that states clearly on their website that they won't ship to my state... that's poor pricing and shipping costs aside. I've also heard from several people on planted tank forums that the species they ordered from Aquariumplants.com were in fact not the right species on arrival.

11. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

So, you are basing your opinion on second hand information? Poor pricing and shipping? Care to share some links of their poor pricing?

12. junebugFishlore LegendMember

I am basing my opinion on their prices being high compared to most other vendors for both their stock and the shipping cost. Since I ship all over the country, I know what it costs to get a box from point A to point B. I've heard of several people from TPT and APC that ordered one species from them and received another, they have several threads about it there. Because of this, even if they did ship to California, I wouldn't order from them.

13. marytsharpValued MemberMember

BDpups junebug is telling you the truth. Peabodys Paradise is very reasonable and ships for one charge not individually. Additionally, he packs the plants in vacuum sealed aerated plastic bags inside of a six sided Styrofoam 1/2" wide inside of a priority shipping box. He is a member here and many members use him. He's one of the few who has an outside the forum web presence. I have priced plants and shipping on several online vendors but have not found a better deal before I had the 50 posts. For example, I paid $10 for a   and purchased several other plants as well at the time. Shipping was only 7.50 for all of it. The cart I have waiting for me now is 27.25 and in the next little bit I'll have purchased everything in the cart (8 items). On eBay the same items (  = 13.99) and all the other plants were priced higher as well and that does not include the shipping charges. For the quality, money, and shipping charges he's always done right by me and everyone else here on the forum. I hope this is the kind of information that you are requesting. I do not deal with aquariumplants.com or anybody else that is not spoken highly of by other forum members, VIPs, Moderators, etc. and I always depend on there expertise and advice.

14. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

marytsharp I am telling the truth. I have never had a single issue with more that 20 orders to aquariumplants.com junebug has obviously never placed an order with them. You are also contradicting yourself by saying " I do not deal with aquariumplants.com or anybody else that is not spoken highly of by other forum members, VIPs, Moderators, etc. and I always depend on there expertise and advice."

15. junebugFishlore LegendMember

It cracks me up that I'm being criticized for never having placed an order with them when they literally will not ship to me, so I can't place an order with them.

Oh well. Now that we're totally off topic... lol.

16. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

No one is criticizing you. I was just wondering where you were basing your opinion on this company from. I find it amusing that you would completely discount a company you have never done business with.

Oh well right? Lol :)

By the way, they ship all over the world. Including all 50 states.

Another thought. When people get a plant shipped wrong, did they bother to call them and let them know? They are very accommodating and willing to help to make an order correct. The thing is you have to contact them to let them know there was a problem.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  17. MandiMurrayNew MemberMember

Ohhhh, that makes sense, thanks! I'll definitely check it out!

18. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

MandiMurray here are some others that I have ordered from with no problems.

19. MandiMurrayNew MemberMember

That's really awesome info, exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

20. MandiMurrayNew MemberMember

Thanks again, I've been reading this site for well over a year (although I just actually joined today) so I know that a lot of people on this site know what they are doing. I'd much rather use a vendor through here than use some random vendor site that I've never heard of. I didn't even know that was an option or I'd have done it sooner!

He'll definitely be first on my list, he's been recommended 3x already, so it's definitely worth a try!

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Thank you so much!

Thank you so much!

Thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice