20 Gallon Tank High Quality Heater Options for 20 Gallon?

gibsonfan2332

I am working on setting up a 20 gallon long tank, and I want to buy a quality heater that will keep my temps as accurate as possible within the smallest degree range possible. I looked through Amazon but almost everything on there seemed cheap and had bad reviews (cooking people's fish).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a heater for 20 gallons that is decently precise and successful for you? I would rather spend more money on a quality heater than have a cheap one that will cook my fish some day. Ideally I don't want a heater that's going to fluctuate my temp by much either since I plan on having different fish that have a very small overlap in temperature living conditions.

Thanks very much for any help!

kallililly1973

We have a Fluval 300W in our 55 that is pretty consistent and we have a 200W Eheim Jager in our 29. I think a lot of suggestions will be the Eheim... They are a little tricky to calibrate but seem to hold the closest temps. Aqueon Pro adjustables are pretty decent we run those in our 20,8.8 and 5 with good consistent results.

Noroomforshoe

I was doing a lot of research on this earlier this year. The consensus on you tube is that even expensive heaters have cheaply made thermostats. I bought an ink bird thermometer and monitor/alarm system a couple of months again. It seems to me that the security is worth it for the price of 35$. I have a marineland heater as a backup. But I am currently using a Finnex heater. The finnex is doing a reliable job, it is easier to adjust the heater dial then a lot of heaters. The Jager was hard for me to adjust.

Cody

My consensus over the years is that most heaters will be tricky for initial setup as far as them not reading true to temp. But they will hold well once you figure out the delta it’s off. Which to me as long as it holds that’s what matters. If I have to set it to 76 for it to hold 78, no biggie as long as it’s stable.

That being said I have both and Eheim and Fluval M series and I’m happy with them. The Ehiems have a dial that you can use to adjust to this proper offset which makes things a little easier. I would agree that I think the Eheim probably holds a tighter delta but aesthetics wise I think they are a little bigger and bulkier compared to others.

I also have used Oase heaters but they were 50w on 10 gallon that I only used a few months so I didn’t get to form a big opinion. But I would buy one again from first impressions.

Fisch

I toss a different heater into the mix, and that would be the Cobalt Neotherm.
No calibration needed, small, no glass, easy to dial in the temperature. I am only a bit over a year into the hobby, but these heaters treated my fish well since the beginning.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Wickette
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Nickguy5467
Replies
Views
Taydee
  • Question
  • awilkinson871