High Ph

Discussion in 'pH' started by riskyfriday1, Apr 19, 2018.

1. r

riskyfriday1 New Member Member

Hello everyone! My water has a high pH. The water in this area is very hard. I have a twenty gallon tank. When I first set it up the pH was 8.0. I added two pieces of Driftwood and the pH lowered to 7.8 but now it's back up to 8.0.

I've been told that the pH doesn't matter too much so long as it doesn't fluctuate. But I see pH requirements for fish all the time so that makes me think it does matter.

My current stock seems to be doing fine. A betta, bumblebee catfish that I never ever see unless it's feeding time, and a couple of ghost shrimp.

However, I have a nice 55 gallon I will be setting up soon. I want to explore a few more species with it and so I would like to know if my high pH is something that will limit my stocking options?

Here is a link to a pic of my twenty gallon. I couldn't upload because I use the app and my phone won't give it permission because of screen overlay or something? Anyway, pic!  

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Ph does not matter for the freshwater aquarium. I've kept and bred discus, apistos, and wild bettas; fish said to be very sensitive to hard ph for years in hard water.

3. Swampgorilla

Swampgorilla Valued Member Member

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/understanding-ph-kh-gh-in-home-aqauriums.113548/

^^ That's a good link to understanding pH ... it's a big subject. pH is not something to monkey around with unless you have a good foundational knowlege of how kH and gH and pH all interact.

That said, you are correct - a more stabile pH, even if less than "optimum" ... is better than constantly "see-sawing" pH caused by manipulating it to a specific reading. Unfortunately, the latter is what most people are doing.

pH **can** matter in a FW aquarium, but like Dutch above, I personally treat "pH requirements" for certain fish with skepticism simply because most of the fish we raise were not "wild caught" in South America and have been bred for generations in captivity in much harder water.

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

One option is the Seachem pH Regulator...I believe that lowers the pH to neutral which is 7.0. I would research it and see if it actually works. Perhaps some members will say something. Don't chase the pH...

With a 8.0 pH perhaps you should look at using that pH to your advantage and look at African Cichilds as they require high pH. Mbuna start at 7.8-8.6, that's well within your range and they are pretty colorful fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice