High pH levels

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, I just got back from the LFS where I had my water tested. I have kits for Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia, at home, but no tests for pH. My readings were as follows

Ammonia .25 -- (Much much better than where it was a little bit ago.)
Nitrite: 0 !!!
Nitrate: 5 ppm
pH: above 7.5

I need to check the pH from my tap... perhaps the frequent water changes to get rid of the ammonia and alege are what caused the pH to get so high?

The pH surprized me. My question is, will this kill any new fish when I bring them home? (after the ammonia is at 0 of course)

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, first check that tap pH and let us know what it is. How far above 7.5 is the tank's pH? What test are you using: normal freshwater pH or high range pH test?

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
the test only went to 7.5, So I'm guessing that that is normal pH, not the high pH test. The pet store did it, so I'm not for sure on what kind of test it was. I do know that they use the liquid tests. That's why we go to them. Though, on this last visit I saw painted fish there, and now I don't know where to go

I'm not sure when I'll get the tap water tested. I'm off Thursday so I'll probably do it then. In the mean time, my two current fish seem fine, as active as green cat fish get, and eating well. I can't add new fish until the ammonia is 0 anyway, so I have some time to figure it out.

Can fish adjust to pH levels around 8? (that's my guess for where it would be) My two have, but I don't want to kill any fish more sensitive to pH levels.

thanks,
~J~

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you acclimate them slowly they will adapt to just about any ph
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!