High PH in new tank

Tsunami35

I have a new tank that is just starting the cycling process, (ammonia is just starting to peak). My PH is pretty high, around 8.3, and has been steady for about a week. Is the high ammonia levels (about 2ppm right now) and the fact that the water is still fairly new causing these high levels? I also have a large bubble wall, a HOB filter, and a powerhead with a filter, is the water simply too oxygenated. Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

jsalemi

Have you tested the water source to see what the pH is? If you're using tap water, let it run from a faucet for about a minute and then test it. Or check your water company's website -- they have to by law provide water quality reports, and usually also post the most recent ones on their site. That'll list the pH as the water leaves their treatment plant, at least.

The toxicity of ammonia is affected by the pH level, but the amount of ammonia itself has no effect on pH. The age of the water is a factor (see above), as the pH may drop a bit over time as the water matures.

If your tap water is lower than your tank water, then it's possible that the substrate or some decoration in the tank is leaching out calcium carbonate, which will raise pH. Things like marble, seashells, and limestone can all affect pH. Even some decorations sold in the LFS can have an effect -- I have a stone formation in my 56g that I got at PetSmart that tested fine for calcium (the vinegar test), but can be the only reason I can think of that the pH in the tank is about .5 higher than what comes out of the tap.

Allie

If you have african cichlids that ph is great.
Add some real driftwood that brings the down the ph. What do you have for substrate?

Tsunami35

I just tested my tap water, and it too is around 8.2 ph. It turns out that all of the water in my town comes from wells, so the water is probably just hard. Next time I go to the Petco down the street Ill ask them if they use the same water source that I do, if they do then their fish should be used to this PH and should do fine with it...

Butterfly

I just tested my tap water, and it too is around 8.2 ph. It turns out that all of the water in my town comes from wells, so the water is probably just hard. Next time I go to the Petco down the street Ill ask them if they use the same water source that I do, if they do then their fish should be used to this PH and should do fine with it...
Your exactly right! Plus there are some very beautiful fish that prefer a higher ph .
Carol

Latest threads

Top Bottom