Yesterday got two small shubunkin goldfish. I put them in a 10 gallon tank (for now... I got the 10 gal. from a friend, but plan to buy a 50 gal soon so my fish have plenty of room to grow). The only chemical I added was AquaSafe water conditioner. I have 2 fake plants and a broken pot decoration that they can hide in. I installed an air pump with a bubble wall. I also bought strips to test my water. Today I tested the water and found that ammonia level was high (1.0), and nitrate and nitrite were both 0. I started looking online and found out about the nitrogen cycle and the "new tank syndrome," so my test results make sense. However, the result for pH was really high--way above 8.4. Out of curiosity, I also tested my tap water and found the pH was also above 8.4. I read that a high pH makes ammonia even more toxic, so I'm worried that this will kill my fish. Should I be worried about the pH level? What is the best way to control ammonia until the nitrogen cycle completes? Will water changes and gravel vacuuming help? Since my tap water is high in pH, should I use filtered water from the store instead? Thanks for answering my questions... I'm already attached to these fish and I want them to be happy.