High PH and angelfish

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been testing my PH and it's showing to be 7.8
Which is odd because when the tank was up a couple years ago I was in the more neutral range (7.0-7.2). Not sure why the difference now. Anyway, I had my heart set on a couple of angels but I see where they prefer more acidic water. I don't want to deal with trying to lower ph. I added a couple pieces of driftwood but that's about all I'm willing to do in trying to mess with Ph. Soooo, do I need to reconsider getting angels? If ph is important for breeding only, then that's no biggie as I wasn't planning on breeding. But will it affect their quality of life?

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't worry about the pH that much unless you are trying to proactively breed them.

I have 7 Angels and my pH is at 8.0. I had to acclimate them for over 8+ hours. They came from a pH of 6.6

oscarsbud

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The pH in my one tank is 7.8 also. I have had an angelfish in there for over a month now. It seems to be doing fine - good appetite, color and growing at a slow but steady pace. I had 2 others in there one at a time, and while I know one died from an overly aggressive gourami, I don't know what the problem was with the other. One minute it was fine, the next, gone.

The other tank has a pH reading of 8. I got 2 nickel-size angels this morning and after slowly acclimating them to the water, I put them in. So far they are doing ok. I want to put more in there, but want to wait to get some feedback from other people as to whether it is a good idea or not.

Personally, I think that as long as you acclimate them properly you shouldn't have a problem. But I have been known to be wrong so wait for other answers.

edit: all that typing for a quick and easy LOL

cognizant

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 2 Angelfish in my 55 gallon tank and the pH in there is up around 8. I drip acclimated them for about an hour before introducing them. Unfortunately I had started with 4, but only 2 made the transition and the other 2 passed away. But they seem to be doing fine now. I will probably switch to a 2 hour drip acclimation from now on.

It is said that fish can adjust to any pH as long as they are acclimated slowly, and other than the Angelfish all my other fish were able to adjust to my high pH just fine.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AmazonPassion said:
I wouldn't worry about the pH that much unless you are trying to proactively breed them.

I have 7 Angels and my pH is at 8.0. I had to acclimate them for over 8+ hours. They came from a pH of 6.6
Gosh dern. 8 hours?!?!?

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hcroark said:
Gosh dern. 8 hours?!?!?
Lol...I was extra cautious and I was trying to match pH from my tank and the bag they were being acclimated in. I did the drip method.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So it sounds like mixed results. Be patient with acclimation and hope for the best

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads