High Ph 8.8

Discussion in 'pH' started by sbholland, Jun 23, 2018.

1. s

sbholland Valued Member Member

I just got back from my lfs where I had my water tested. I do my own API testing but had a mystery of unexplained deaths so thought I'd double check my work. Kid didn't remotely do the nitrate test right and was happy to announce I had 0 nitrates in my tank. It's water change day and I took that sample before I performed the pwc. My test was 40 nitrates.
    That's really neither here nor there. What surprised me was a PH of 8.8 in my 20 gallon long with 3 black skirt tetras, fake plants, and the same decor that's been in the tank since start up.
    Until today my PH has always been 8.2 and that's what it is out of the tap. Since I got this freaky reading I came home and tested all 5 of my tanks.
    In the 2 2.5 gallon betta tanks one was 8.8 and the other was 8.4-identical set up but one is a little warmer than the other.
    My 20 gallon was at 8.2-8.4
    My still cycling 29 gallon was 8.4-8.6
    My cycled but as yet unoccupied 30 gallon was 8.2-8.4
    Tap is 8.0-8.2, GH 7 and KH 10 (can't remember what that comes out to in ppm)
    Every tank except the 2.5 gallon ones have had pwc today.
    Any suggestions as to what could be causing my PH to climb so high between water changes?
    Can I even keep fish with a PH this high? I'm not interested in live bearers.

If you've made it this far thank you.

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

African cichlids would love to live in that higher pH.

As long as you don’t have any wild caught or just sensitive fish, your fish should be fine.

3. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

Don’t play with it. Your water is actually fine. A stable PH is most important, not the level. (Unless you’re keeping wild caught/extremely sensitive fish). If you insist that it be lowered, DO NOT use chemicals, go natural with peat moss.

Also, the LFS employee story made me laugh haha.

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    s

Thanks for the replies I don't want to play with it just didn't know if PH that high would be OK for fishkeeping.
    I also worry what happens when I change water if the PH in the tank is that much higher than the tap.
    We've discussed RO water systems or water purifiers just for our tap water because this time of year it can be almost undrinkable.
    I tried to fish in cycle last summer and almost lost my mind because of the amount of ammonia in the tap. Decided fishless was the only way to go for me.
    So if I try the peat moss A where do I find it and B will it go in both HOB and canister filters? I'll have to figure out something different for the bettas because they only have sponge filters.
    Thank you for the chart

5. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

As long as you don’t do over 50% water changes, the difference in PH should be fine. Can you test the ammonia and nitrates of your tap and tell me what they are? Peat moss can be found at many LFS or online. You don’t have to put it in the filter, it can be placed anywhere in the tank.

6. OP
    OP
    s

Ammonia is 1ppm and nitrates for the first time ever are somewhere between 0 and 5. They've been 0 in the past

So far for stocking in the 20 gallon I'm planning to do
    Cooler water cories
    Honey gourami
    Bolivian ram
    A school of some kind of tetra.
    I'm having my black skirts die off mysteriously. Since January I've lost 3. They get a little white around the mouth, their eyes bulge a little and then about 3 days later they can't swim, then they pass a couple of days after that. It's been about 1 every 2 months so I don't think it's a contagious illness.
    In the 30 gallon I plan
    Black ruby barbs
    Marble angels
    Sterbai or mixed cory aneus
    Then I'm stuck on a tetra school I wanted to get royal emporer tetras but black phantom tetras are growing on me

Do you think I'll have a problem with any of these choices?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice