high nitrites

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had set up my 25 gallon a couple weeks ago, and when I tested the water I had 0 ammonia, 0.1 nitrites and I can't quite remember the nitrates, so I added my DG. Then the other day I bought few guppies and put them in, and last night I noticed 2 of them have died. I tested the water again and its still 0 ammonia, but its between 0.3-0.8 nitrites and 10 nitrates :S. So I'm thinking that maybe the nitrogen cycle hasnt quite finished, should I wait to replace the fish until there's 0 nitrites? there's still a DG and a couple guppies left but I am going to return the guppies anyways, if they live, to get platies but I don't want them to die too. My DG is basically indestructable i think cuz he's lived through quite a lot (my roomate kept him in a measuring cup for 1 week before I rescued him, and put him in an uncycled 10 gallon, didnt not about the nitrogen cycle yet). Anyways I'm not sure if the guppies died from the tank not being cycled, or adding too many at once, or maybe from the other fish. one of the females had an injured fin and couldnt swim very well to begin with.

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd bet it was the cycle. You aren't cycled until you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Do daily water changes of 50% with prime until it finishes cycling to keep your DG safe.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alright will do. Only I don't have prime? I have stress coat, tetra aquasafe, nutrafin cycle and topfin bacteria supplement. I don't use the nutrafin or topfin stuff I just bought it only to read that its not really worth it lol. what exactly is prime? sorry if its a dumb queston

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Not a dumb question at all. Prime is a water conditioner. I know that most chain stores sell it, Petsmart and Petco... some Walmarts sell it but I don't know what they have around you. It takes out chlorine just like your conditioner but it also detoxifies ammonia, nitrites and nitrates for 24 hours. It will keep your fish safe in between water changes. Hope that helps!! And don't be afraid to ask!

Here is Prime:

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Prime is great. It dechlorinates, removes heavy metals, and also converts ammonia, nitrites, and some nitrates to less toxic forms. And it's cost-effective compared to other conditioners. However, where I live, Walmart, Petco, and Petsmart don't carry it. Some of the locally-owned fishstores have it, but not all of them. I bought a larger bottle of it, but whenever I am at the LFS again that sells it, I'm going to get the smallest one because I understand that it has a built-in dropper, making dosing easier. Then I can refill that.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I agree Prime is one of the best water conditioners. If you are unable to find it, a close second IMO would be AmQuel+.

Good luck with your tank!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There was a recent thread about Amelquel+ not taking care of heavy metals. There's a companion product you have to use for that... NovAqua or something, don't remember for sure.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Meenu said:
There was a recent thread about Amelquel+ not taking care of heavy metals. There's a companion product you have to use for that... NovAqua or something, don't remember for sure.
This is true, but I have never seen AmQuel being sold with out NovAqua together in a two pack (unless it was huge bottles). So if you can get "Prime" and "AmQuel+ and NovAqua" to help keep the ammonia and nitrites non toxic between water changes.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads