High Nitrites over two days!

eagertolearn

So I tested my water yesterday and the Nitrites and Nitrates were crazy high (approx 10 ppm nitrite, and 60 ppm nitrate) so I immediately did several water changes of about 60-70% over the day, and added a lot of Prime and AQI Quick Start to help bring the levels down. When testing last night before the last water change I got 5 ppm of nitrite and 30 ppm of nitrate. I did another water change and tested just now, getting 3 ppm nitrite and holding steady at 30 ppm nitrate. Should I continue changing water, and how much? Also how much Prime should I be adding to help neutralize the effects? The fish do not seem to be under obvious signs of stress, but I am very concerned. Did I accidentally start a new cycle and will the fish survive?
For info on the tank: 10 gallon tank, a few plants, accidentally replaced filter media yesterday (am aware that was not what to do, but it was dirty and had been about a month so I panicked), filter is carbon based, 4 fish total in tank (1 julli Cory and 3 zebra danios, and yes I am working on trying to get the danios rehomed but not until I sort out water levels so as not to shock them), also I use Tetra Easy Strips (6 in 1) to test

FishBoy101

Did you cycle your tank?

Upvote 0

eagertolearn

Did you cycle your tank?
Yes, fully cycled before adding new fish. Is this a new cycle?

Upvote 0

FishBoy101

I think it might because of the changing of the filter. Even if it looks dirty, just lightly scrub it and then put it back.

Upvote 0

eagertolearn

I think it might because of the changing of the filter. Even if it looks dirty, just lightly scrub it and then put it back.
Thanks, yeah I know that now after extensive googling. Should I ever change it? Or just clean it?

Upvote 0

eagertolearn

Update: did another water change just now of about 50%, nitrites around 1.5, nitrates at 20. Added more Prime and API Quick Start as well

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl