High Nitrites & Nitrates?

1. Blanco Member Member

This tank has been set up about a year & have had happy healthy fish in the tank ( 10 Gallon )I just changed the water about 1 week ago & decided to check the levels. ( I use test strips, So I don't have numbers I go by the color chart ) & noticed the Nit's were high & so I did a 50% water swap & tested it again about an hour later & they were still up in the unsafe zone?!?!?!

Do you recommend any products I can go buy at the store to help keep the levels at the proper levels?

2. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

keep up with the water changes, and I would also test your tap water.

3. xNick Member Member

I would recommend getting a liquid test kit (e.g. API master kit) so you can at least track how you are going.

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

And, use Prime if you are not already using it.

5. Blanco Member Member

What is Prime?

6. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Prime is a declorinator made by Seachem, along with declorinating it also will detox ammonia and nitrite for 24hrs, making the water safer for fish.

7. Blanco Member Member

Well I do use a declorinator & stuff, I just dont remember the brand at the moment?
    Should I check my tank later to see if maybe it takes longer to settle things than an hour after a change?

8. Blanco Member Member

Might going back to distilled water or something like that help out for now?

Its what I use to do.

9. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't, you lose a lot of the mineral content with water like that, and much like you and I the fish need these things in the water as well.

10. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

The thing about Prime is that it is not just a dechlorinator, it takes the locks the toxic ammonia and nitrites out of the water for 24 hours. So, if you are getting spikes like this, you can use Prime so the fish won't get ill. Check the label on your to see if it does the same thing. Wendy:;scorpion

11. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I hate to be technical, but it is an important point. Prime does not "lock" but instead detoxes ammonia and nitrite.

The difference is a little bit of a parsing of words, but detoxing means to convert the ammonia/nitrite into a form that is not toxic to fish, but still in a form that will feed the bacteria you are trying to form.

"Locking" would put it in a form that keeps fish safe, but the ammonia/nitrite is not in a form that will feed the bacteria.

But...if you come across a product called "AmmoLock" don't worry. A couple of years ago they change the forumla so that it detoxes and no longer "locks" ammonia/nitriute

12. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Well put!

13. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Thank you for the clarification.:;b

14. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Wendy, I kinda assumed that you knew the difference, but I clarified more for the benifit of those who may be new to the whole detox thing.