High Nitrites/nitrates After Water Multiple Changes?

pinkguppy

Reaction score
I have a gourami and two tiny rasboras in a 10 gallon tank. I established and cycled the tank for about a month and a half before I added the gourami and the water quality was perfect then.

I did a 25% three days ago and I just did another 25-35% right now. The water is still testing ridiculously high for both nitrates and nitrites... Nitrates 160ppm, nitrites 10ppm. Everyone is healthy and happy, no signs of distress. Mr Gourami made himself a fancy bubblenest. I almost wouldn’t have noticed there was even a problem. What should I do?

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
pinkguppy said:
I have a gourami and two tiny rasboras in a 10 gallon tank. I established and cycled the tank for about a month and a half before I added the gourami and the water quality was perfect then.

I did a 25% three days ago and I just did another 25-35% right now. The water is still testing ridiculously high for both nitrates and nitrites... Nitrates 160ppm, nitrites 10ppm. Everyone is healthy and happy, no signs of distress. Mr Gourami made himself a fancy bubblenest. I almost wouldn’t have noticed there was even a problem. What should I do?
very weird did you do a gravel vac and clean the filter?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When you clean the filters, rinse the filter media in old tank water - don't replace it, and don't wash it in tap water. It won't lower your nitrates, and it won't lower your nitrites quickly either.

Can you test your tap water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

If the tap water tests okay, I would do a few 50-75% water changes in a row to get nitrites down. Normally you don't want to lower nitrates that quickly, but I think nitrites are the bigger problem here.

pinkguppy

Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
When you clean the filters, rinse the filter media in old tank water - don't replace it, and don't wash it in tap water. It won't lower your nitrates, and it won't lower your nitrites quickly either.

Can you test your tap water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

If the tap water tests okay, I would do a few 50-75% water changes in a row to get nitrites down. Normally you don't want to lower nitrates that quickly, but I think nitrites are the bigger problem here.
Tap water is fine. My other tank has a rather large community in it and the water is perfect. I’m a bit confused with this tank right now.

I did another 50% change and discovered the tiny baby rasbora that I thought the gourami had eaten actually managed to get stuck in a plant and died. I thought for sure that was the problem, but the water is only testing a little bit better after letting it filter for awhile. I’m going to do another change tonight but I’m lost after that.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Have you tested your tap recently? Things could change. I'd still test it, just to be safe.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom