High Nitrite!!!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by New fish lover, Apr 2, 2010.

1. N

New fish lover New Member Member

Hello,

I need some advice on how to lower the nitrite. My tank has been set-up for 3 weeks now. I have 2 platies and 1 guppy. Last week, I took a water sample to Petsmart and they said that the nitrite is too high that I have to do 25% water change every other day. I did the water change and have the water tested again and still pretty high. I decided to buy the API Master Test Kit so I can monitor the level myself.

Yesterday, the readings are as follows:

Ph - 7.6
    Ammonia - .50 ppm
    Nitrite - 5.0 ppm
    Nitrate - 10 ppm

I did some water change again after this reading.
    Today, I did some testing again and here are the results:

Ph - 7.6
    Ammonia - .50 ppm
    Nitrite - 5.0 ppm
    Nitrate - 5.0 ppm

Are these numbers normal? Do I need to do the water change until the Ammonia and Nitrite go down to 0? Am I close to full cycling process? Is there any other things I can do to lower the nitrite? Based on what I have read, high nitrite is not good for the fish and I am worried that they will die. So far they seem okay.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Daily water changes will help keep the levels down until your tank finishes cycling.
    You're right, nitrites are toxic to your fish.

With an ammonia reading, you're not totally out of the first stage, close though.

Hang in there and good luck!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  3. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

The only thing you can do is a 45% or 50% water change and prime. now and do 30% to 40% till it gets better.

4. OP
    OP
    N

Thanks Lucy & navyscuba. I will keep doing the water change.

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

The most important thing in fishkeeping to fully understand is the nitrogen cycle. I highly recommend you read up on it if your not 100% sure about how it works. If all goes correctly the words nitrogen cycle should be underlined, and clicking on it will bring you to an article that explains it.

Good luck!

6. jsides1979

jsides1979 Valued Member Member

you will see the ammonia start to drop and the nitrite go dark purple and the water changes will help some to lower this. it may take 2- 4 weeks for that to drop. I just finished cycling my tank. Get some Tetra safe start if you can find it and add some. It will make the cycle go much faster.

7. OP
    OP
    N

@jdhef - I am new to this hobby and have been reading some articles about nitrogen cycle and been learning a lot of information. I know that both ammonia and nitrite should be 0 but since my nitrite is too high and I have 3 fish, I am kinda worried that they may die. Seems like a lot of people advise to do the water change until the nitrite level drops.

@jsides - Yes the nitrite in my tank is dark purple :( I am doing the water changes as advised. I am glad your tank is fully cycled :) I will try to find the Tetra safe start.

Thank you guys!

8. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

As mentioned above go get some (I use) Prime. It will lower ammonia and nitrites.

9. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I agree, you really do need to get some Prime and do daily water changes using it. I think at this point it may be too late to try SafeStart.

10. jsides1979

jsides1979 Valued Member Member

i agree with JDHEF. Your getting close and when I bought Prime and added it a week later after 2 water changes it was cycled. Every time you do a water change it will stall the cycle if you take to much water out.

11. OP
    OP
    N

Hello guys,

Just wanted to give an update...
    I have been doing a partial water change as advised by everyone and been adding Prime every change. Although my tank still has some nitrites on it, I am so happy to see the changes... At least it's not dark purple anymore :)
    Hopefully the cycle will finish soon, cause I am so excited to add more fish.

Thanks again for the advice!

Attached Files:

• High Nitrite!!!
      001.jpg
      File size:
      122.7 KB
      Views:
  12. navyscuba

Looks like you are getting there. Keep the good job. :;th

13. OP
    OP
    N

Thanks navyscuba.

14. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, it looks like you're almost done. Keep up the good work!

15. OP
    OP
    N

Hi guys,

Here are the readings for today:

Ph - 7.2
    Ammonia - 0 ppm (Yay!)
    Nitrites - .25 ppm
    Nitrates - 5.0 ppm

Question:

Should I continue to do the 25% water change or let the tank continue to cycle until the nitrite drops to zero?

Thanks.

16. l

lanlesnee Well Known Member Member

I have 2 fish tanks I cycled at the same time. One cycled in a few weeks while the other one is still cycling even after 3 months. I did have more fish in the other one and live plants. I also think I was too aggressive on the water changes on the one, which kept my nitrites and ammonia too low for it to cycle right.

IMO you should do the water changes, but not too large of changes.

17. OP
    OP
    N

Hello,

I think my tank is done cycling :)
    Please confirm. Thanks.

Attached Files:

18. navyscuba

Your tank is pretty much cycled. Now remember if you are planning on adding more fish do it on a slow manner. If you add 5 or 6 fish at once it will shock your tank because is not ready to handle the waste that is been produced by all the fish. Good Luck.

19. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Riv about going slowly... wait at least 2 weeks to add more fish - it'll give the beneficial bacteria a chance to establish

20. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Good job! Now you can slow down on the water changes.... if you want to. ; )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice