High Nitrite & Nitrates Help 

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, well as some of you know I had problems with ammonia and this but now I finally got my ammonia down to lower levels (0.50ppm from 2+ppm) but now I have another issue... Nitrites and Nitrates.

Nitrites: 5.0+ ppm
Nitrates: 40 ppm

How would I go about getting them down? So far my fishies are battling through all the rough times.

Thank you for all the helpful answers! ;D

Edit:

Forgot to mention I did a water change yesterday (6/3) and it was about 40-45% change.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just do 50% water changes daily, using Prime or Amquel+ as your water conditioner until your tank finishes cycling.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yep, sounds like your still cycling. jdhef has the advice here, all you can do is water changes till things finish.

After your ammonia levels start getting readings of 0, then your nitrites will be going up (sounds like how its going now), then they will eventually go down and stay down. Then your finally done.

GL!

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So that means my tank isn't fully cycled yet right? hmm.. If I would've known more back when i started it I wouldn't have fish in there *hits self in head*

I'm trying to learn everything for future plans of more tanks.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't feel bad, it happens to a bunch of beginners (myself included). Your tank will be fully cycled when you have 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites and some nitrates.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads