High nitrite levels

heminew

Reaction score
Hi. So it's a 6 Gallon tank (small) with one small Angelfish and 3 Guppies. I had some changes in the population in the last week (there was another bigger angelfish which i returned to the store and one guppy who died and was removed immediately). Yesterday, in the weekly nitrite check I got high levels, 3.3 mg/L. So I did a 30% water change, tested today, same result. Should I continue replacing 30%?
I'm out of ammonia tests, so I don't have that info
Fish look great, happy and vital.

DoraCory

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry to be that person, but I can't not say it, your tank is way way too small for an Angelfish. IMO it's also too small for the guppies.

As for water changes, try larger ones, possibly even every day depending on what your water tests say.

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How long has your tank been setup? Did you cycle it before adding fish? how?

CoryFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Those fish need at least a 29 gallon tank, it sounds like the tank is not cycled.

heminew

Reaction score
thanks
a week ago I had good ammonia and good nitrite levels. I did another 30% water change today.
I might either return the angelfish or switch to a bigger tank but it'll take time till it's cycled. What do I do for now-continue changing water every day?

CoryFan said:
Those fish need at least a 29 gallon tank, it sounds like the tank is not cycled.
too small for 3 guppies and a small angelfish? 29 gallons?

CoryFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
heminew said:
thanks
a week ago I had good ammonia and good nitrite levels. I did another 30% water change today.
I might either return the angelfish or switch to a bigger tank but it'll take time till it's cycled. What do I do for now-continue changing water every day?

too small for 3 guppies and a small angelfish? 29 gallons?
Yes a 6 gallon is way too small for them.

heminew

Reaction score
OK. since i'm new to this (apparently), what can you fit in a 6 gallon?

Rev

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't keep guppies in anything less than a 10, but they're better off in a 20 at least.

For a 6 gallon you can do a betta. Just a betta no other fish. Maybe a nerite snail. Or you could do a shrimp tank. But for shrimp you're going to need to cycle it and make sure the tank is mature for their best chances of survival. So I'd suggest a betta.

CoryFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score

heminew

Reaction score
is there something to do now, as an emergency, besides changing water every day?

Inner10

Well Known Member
Reaction score
heminew said:
is there something to do now, as an emergency, besides changing water every day?
No, just keep up with water changes to keep it at a safe level.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads