High Nitrite And White Spot

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Sue Pitkin, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Sue PitkinNew MemberMember

6g ciano tank is now 4 weeks old. 1 male 2 female guppies. 1 male and 1 female platty.
    In hindsight I should have done my research. I am into week 4 of fish in cycle. Initially I was testing water with straps all reading perfect. 20% water change every 3 days. Weekeep 3 I notice what I believe to be white spot. Went to Shirley aquatics and purchased aqua lab test kit and interpet anti white spot. Gave first dose of treatment following instructions. Tested water all good except for nitrite 8.0. Immediate water change. Upped temperature to 82 and a dose of aquarium salt. 4 days later and daily 50% water change nitrite now 0.5. Hoping by tomorrow it will be 0. My question is if nitrite issue 0 should I commence whitespot treatment straight away. This is a treatment of 2 doses repeat after 4 days. Will it affect the nitrite or the bacteria should I take out the media or carbon. My fish were looking dreadful but have hopefully pulled through.

2. fjhWell Known MemberMember

You have some stocking issues if you want to discuss them :)

Most medicines ruin your cycle, which is why you had a nitrite spike.
    I would just do the salt/heat treatment and not use the medicine for ich. Good luck!

3. Sue PitkinNew MemberMember

Thank you for replying. I will continue to use the salt. Please advise regarding stocking issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  4. fjhWell Known MemberMember

Well, you say you have 3 guppies and 2 platies in a 6g tank.

Firstly, this is overstocked. I would upgrade your fish to a larger tank, or get a second tank to move some of them to.
    Also, Livebearers should be kept as gender only or at least 1:2 m:f ratio. So you ideally should get 1-2 more female platies.

5. Sue PitkinNew MemberMember

Thank you for advice. I will take this on board. I feel terribly deflated and do not want the fish to suffer. I wish I could start again. I seriously did not research this. Lesson learnt. I will think hard on my next move and look at another tank.

6. fjhWell Known MemberMember

Nah, don't feel bad! We were all new at some point, and all had stupid stockings along the way!

Your fish should be fine in the 6g while you cure the ich, but I wouldn't keep them there long term.
    If you want help with stocking, feel free to create a topic about it and lots of people will give you input :)

7. Sue PitkinNew MemberMember

Hi there. Since we chatted last my situation is still the same. I am making do. I have a juwel rio 180 on its way. Silica sand too. I will take the filter from my old tank and put into my new tank. Once it's up and running for the sake of the fish I need to get them out of the old and into the new tank. So I will be doing a fish in cycle. I have been doing my research i hope this will work. Thanks for the advice. By the way i cured the ich. This is just a situation update. I am sure I will be back to get assistance regarding the cycle.

8. fjhWell Known MemberMember

Awesome job!!

Regarding the cycle, if you move the filter onto the new tank when you move your fish, then your cycle will hold. Hook up the second filter (that will be staying on the larger tank) and let both run in the tank until the second filter is cycled too. Then you can remove the first filter.

9. Sue PitkinNew MemberMember

Old 6 gallon tank still has not cycled. Today I have set up juwel rio 180. I still have 3 guppie and 2 platys. I intend to put them all in the new tank. You said in previous comment to put old filter in new tank along with new filter. As old tank has not cycled will this still work? Shall I put the 2 plants in too?

10. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Do you have your water parameters? Then we can tell where you are in your cycle. I personally would transfer it all to the new tank. It may only set you back a few days, but it won't make you start completely over. As long as you are using a good dechlorinator, you should be just fine. Are you using bottled bacteria to help your cycle? If you aren't, I would definitely get some for when you transfer your filter. That way it will boost your cycle, since it will be stressed for a day or two with the environment change.

11. Sue PitkinNew MemberMember

Amonia 0
    nitrite 1.0
    Nitrate 10.0
    This is whilst doing 50% water change every day and a half.
    I use fluval dechlorinator.
    No I haven't used bottled bacteria.
    Tank only set up and heater switched on a couple of hours ago. Will do next step tomorrow. I am just not sure of my next step. Pleeeaaase advise

12. Sue PitkinNew MemberMember

I do have a tub of evolution aqua pure aquarium balls ??