High Nitrates

Darren Page

Reaction score
Please help i have nitrates of 40ppm that i cant get down. I do weekly water changes of around 10% with bottled water as my tap water nitratws are rather high. I have 120l planted aquarium. The fish seem ok but want to address this beforw it gets out of control.

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You could up your water changes to 25% weekly. Is there any nitrates in the bottled water? If so I recommend that you switch to different water as it will only be making your problem worse and not solving it. This could also be because your tank or over stocked. Now I'm not trying to blame you or anything, it's a very easy thing to do. I have done it many times myself. What kinds and how many fish do you have in your tank?

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Darren Page said:
Thats all good i have tested the bottled water and thats all good. I done a 40% water change about 4 weeks ago and have been doing 10% weekly since. I have 4 mollies 3 plecos and 3 loaches in tank. I dont think its overstocked but i am a novice lol
What kind of plecos and loaches are they?

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Darren Page said:
Bristlenose plecos and yoyo loaches
Your are overstocked if your plecos are adults. But even if they aren't i would not recemend three as they can be territorial.

If you do want to get rid of the you need to buy another tank for them or make your water changes over 50% weekly. Personally I would do one pleco the loaches and mollies. But you would still need a 25% weekly water change.

Suggestions from others would be appreciated!!!

Darren Page

Reaction score
Thanks for that they are not quite adults but am thinking of starting another tank anyhow. I only had 1 to start with but inherited 2 more off my niece () in the meantime i will do bigger water changes. At least the nitrates have not climbed.

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Darren Page said:
Thanks for that they are not quite adults but am thinking of starting another tank anyhow. I only had 1 to start with but inherited 2 more off my niece () in the meantime i will do bigger water changes. At least the nitrates have not climbed.

OK you should be ok until they are adults just keep and eye on the nitrates and work on getting another tank!!

Hope it goes well!!

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Darren Page said:
Thanks bud will also get sone more plants to help with it. Any suggestions
Hortwort is awesome to float at the top and grows fast. I also find it absorbs lots of nitrates. Moss balls also work well and I personally love the look of Java ferns. You might already have some of those but still.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I do 50% water changes weekly, even though my nitrates never get very high. As long as you match the tanks temperature with the new water, you can do big water changes even more often than that. The reason my nitrates are low is because I have Seachem Matrix in all of my filters. This media allows for nitrate consuming bacteria to live in my tank.

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Darren Page said:
Just hope the loaches dont rip them up digging for snails
They might but you could get some large smooth rocks and put them at the base. That deters mine from digging

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom